HELLO and some Pictures of our Stage 1

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
NZ105R

HELLO and some Pictures of our Stage 1

Post by NZ105R »

Hello Land Rover enthusiasts,

I must admit that I have already been steeling helpful information from this forum so I thought I had better do the right thing and introduce our Landy.

I have been a Member of the fantastic Rover P4 Drivers Guild Forum for quite a while,( Hence the unrelated user name, Its easy for me to remember!).

Our Land Rover is a 1986 Stage 1 ex NZ Army,
We got our Stage 1 in 2006, This one was not included in the 3 main auctions the Army held, It was sold a few weeks later by the local Army lot here in Auckland.
Apart from it being registed to the Auckland-Northland Regiment we know nothing of its history.

I am pleased with how easy the Land Rover is to use, It is happy in traffic jams and at it is actually quite good for long road trips. The tires are a but noisy but this can be reduced by opening the sides of the canopy and the windows. Car parks are a bit tricky :D

Our intention is to keep the Land Rover as original as possible.
Last edited by NZ105R on Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

1986 Stage 1 NZ Army
1957 Rover P4 105R
Geoff

Re: HELLO and some Pictures of our Stage 1

Post by Geoff »

Cool number plate! Very cool vehicle!! How come it's in such pristine condition? Didn't the NZ Army ever take it out of its box?? Oh, and welcome to the forum.
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
wpalmo

Post by wpalmo »

Welcome along. What a beautiful Stage One, I don't think I have seen an example in as good a condition as yours before. Hope to see more of it in the future.

Regards Warrick.
1981 Stage One V8 Truck Cab
2001 HSE 4.6 Range Rover
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Gee, is that what mine is supposed to look like :oops:

:lol:

Great to see one kept in its original condition. I hope it stays like that always.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
NZ105R

Post by NZ105R »

Thanks for the positive replys! I was afraid I was going to get told off of pampering her too much and using it as a Classic ( CAR )??

Yes Mr Geoff, The Army did use it. We did loads and loads of work on it in the first 3 years we owned it.
Mainly paint and general maints, The only (Big) job was to replace the lay shaft bearings in the G/Box.
We had to put right quite a few things the Army Mechanics had put Wrong!. (I dont have much confidence in our Armys Machanics Skills Now!)

It was very helpful that the Army not only sold off the Landys they also sold TONS and TONS of new parts, so for a while there parts for these things were very easy to get and cheap.

I found some Photos of when it was being painted. I wish I had taken more photos along the way now.

And My assistant changing the Oil in the G/Box and T/Case.
Mark

1986 Stage 1 NZ Army
1957 Rover P4 105R
noexitroad

Post by noexitroad »

that is in amazing condition, congratulations, definitely one for the museums in another 50 years
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

I would love to see a close up of the details of that Jerry Can mount on the rear.

I love the huge honking 24v alternator.

What gauge is in the center pod of your dash?

Lovely truck.
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

The Jerry can mount hooks over the top of the tail gate and bolts onto the middle of it. That means you can open the tail gate without taking it all off.

The problem with them is that the weight of two fill cans hanging out the rear can affect the weight balance quite a bit (two full 20l tins is about 38kg). They are only really useful when you are in convoy.

The gauge in the middle includes warnings for oil level and water level and battery tester (IIRC) if the split charge diodes are working. A screaming alert is sounded when low water or oil are detected. Below it are an hour meter for the engine and ammeter.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
NZ105R

Post by NZ105R »

Hello Firemanshort,

Mr Disco2's description is correct but here are some photos, Are you thinking of making a jerry can holder? just let me know if you want any dimensions.

I have tryed to put a video of the Multi Alarm here:

http://youtu.be/TYpuBlBOdfA

I've no idea if it will work :?: Just having a play :D

Again as Mr Disco2 says the amp meter is below it, The space on the instrument panel that ( I Think ) the amp meter would normally be in has a Oil temp gauge.

Have Fun :!: :!:
Mark

1986 Stage 1 NZ Army
1957 Rover P4 105R