Another from Australia

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
wpalmo

Re: Another from Australia

Post by wpalmo »

Mick_Marsh wrote:Thanks for the welcome.
For those in the land of cold summers and freezing winters, a picture of my Landy.

Ok, very little of the Stage_1ness is left but it did start out as a 3.9d station wagon. The previous owner rolled it and bent the chassis beyond repair so he re-chassied it with one from a RRC. Then he wanted the Isuzu motor in his RRC so he swapped the motors. I've owned this Landy for quite some years and used to use it as a daily drive. Now it generally does the tip run and a bit of puttering around town with the occasional camp in the bush.
Hi Mick. Welcome aboard. I have seen that ute before on the A.U.L.R.O Forum. Didn't know you owned it. It has the 100 inch chassis doesn't it. Looks good. Does anyone on the forum have the figures on how many Stage One's were imported into Oz. I know that there has been an attempt on the A.U.L.R.O Forum to document how many are still getting around on Australian roads. The ones I have seen have held up pretty well, but they are few and far between. There are a few on the West Coast that I have come across but mostly with the 3.9 Isuzu Diesel. Great motor though, almost indestructible and good for a million kilometres if treated well.

The RRC chassis with the Stage One body seems like a great combo though. The 3.5 V8 would fit with out cutting up the bulk head and floor I would imagine which seems to be the case when creating the Hybrid set up with other Series body's. Love to see a few more images of your Stage One.

Regards Warrick.
1981 Stage One V8 Truck Cab
2001 HSE 4.6 Range Rover
drifter

Post by drifter »

Whilst interested in the number of Stage 1's that arrived here, I am also interested in whether there was ever a register or record that depicts what serial numbered vehicles arrived per year.

My PO told me he thought mine was a 1981 model but I suspect its serial number is too low for 1982 and it may be a 1980 or even earlier model.

Mine is 100684

Calvin merely lists it as 1979 to 1987
drifter

Post by drifter »

Further progress....

After working 7 days a week and up to 18 hours a day since September I finally told the boss I had to have a break - so I have the next 2 weeks off work and I am going to make an effort to get a roadworthy for my Stage 1

Backing up a little, I have found my engine number on this site: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/content--na ... ne-Numbers and it seems to indicate that my engine is from 1982... so I am even more confused now as to what year the vehicle is.

Anyways - mine has a dual barrel Holley on it and we set that up today. I happened to have a Holley refurb kit here so that was handy. We had another shot at the timing, too. The consensus of opinion is that the timing chain may have stretched - it appears to be about half a tooth out - fortunately I had ordered a heap of parts from the UK recently and they are on their way - currently in Singapore... so I should see them on Tuesday or Wednesday. Included in the parcel are all the timing components - chain, sprockets, seal, gasket...

We have a problem with the passenger side manifold, too. The 3 studs where the top pipe attaches? One stud is stripped. One acts like a bolt in that it all comes out. The third is being difficult but, hopefully, I can get that out tomorrow and find some replacement 5/16" x 1½" UNF studs and get it all back together.

The engine is idling nicely at about 600rpm at the moment - just low enough for the oil pressure light and ignition light to flicker - I think I'll lift it to about 700rpm and see how that sits.

New seats are installed. All lights have been tested/replaced.

New brake cylinders, shoes and drums this coming week. Hopefully, then, a roadworthy...
drifter

Post by drifter »

Previous owner has finally produced a set of papers for the car - it is a 1980 vehicle.
Strange about the 1982 motor.

And - the serial number wasn't quite right

I thought it was 100684

It is actually 100624- confirmed on the rear left spring hanger.
drifter

Post by drifter »

And we are now street legal! Roadworthy passed today so shot across town and registered it. Awesome feeling.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Onya mate :D
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

well done, great feeling isnt it. enjoy! :D
drifter

Post by drifter »

Yeah - it's pretty cool.

I haven't driven it today - I am putting all the bits back on I didn't want the inspector to be distracted by.

Hehe - it's gonna take a while...
Chaz Quarrier

Post by Chaz Quarrier »

Hi Drifter, nice looking truck there!

Favour to ask - any chance of sticking up a picture of the front wing badges (or pm me) ? I'd like to try to track a set down for my Stage 1.

Cheers!
drifter

Post by drifter »

If I had some, I would be happy to show them.

Sadly, my vehicle came without them.
Chaz Quarrier

Post by Chaz Quarrier »

No worries - thanks anyway!
wpalmo

Post by wpalmo »

Chaz Quarrier wrote:Hi Drifter, nice looking truck there!

Favour to ask - any chance of sticking up a picture of the front wing badges (or pm me) ? I'd like to try to track a set down for my Stage 1.

Cheers!
Do you mean these badges?

Land-Rover-3.5 by wpalmo, on Flickr
1981 Stage One V8 Truck Cab
2001 HSE 4.6 Range Rover
Chaz Quarrier

Post by Chaz Quarrier »

That's the one - cheers!

Just need to find a pair now :lol:
drifter

Post by drifter »

And if you find 2 pair, would you let me know?
Chaz Quarrier

Post by Chaz Quarrier »

Will do - if I'm ever that lucky...