Evening all from the Fens

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
FenTiger

Evening all from the Fens

Post by FenTiger »

Hello and good evening.

Toby from the Fens. Have owned a number of Solihull products and currently have the following:

'52 S1
'57 S1
'61 S2 (Technically the wife's!)

and the most recent purchase an 81/82 Marine Blue Stage 1 Stationwagon.

It came with a number of new & old spares and apparently has had quite a bit of cash thrown at it through the three previous owners, who have all had their go at restoring it. All in all it is pretty sound and I hope to get it back on the road for the summer.

Now the problem! It came with no V5, no bulkhead VIN plate and the dumb irons have been replaced (badly). It wears the numberplate WKN 973X. To get a replacement V5 I will need the VIN number and Reg no., so you see my problem.......

Does anyone on here recognise the vehicle? Has it been on here before?

Some familiar faces on here. :lol:

Thanks,

TF

Post by 5988 »

Evening ...
Quite a quiet forum but lots of useful information

As you know its registration number can you not apply for the V5 based on that (or is the Vin number part of the process?)

You may be lucky in locating the VIN no as it may be further back on the chassis rails, take a look on the outside of the chassis rail below the front shock mount (there's a pic in the manual somewhere of the location)

Online manuals here
http://www.landroverv8.com/manuals.html
FenTiger

Post by FenTiger »

Yep Alex, the application form requires the VIN Number. :( Will have a look in the daylight for the chassis number. As stated above, the dumb irons have been messed with quite badly. :(

Cheers for the link.

TF

Edit: Workshop manual states the number is adjacent the front right shock absorber. Anyone got a piccy of where I should be looking, as all might not be lost as that bit hasn't been welded!
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

Hello and welcome,

The chassis number is quite easy to find providing the plate is still there :D
It’s located on the outside of the n/s/f chassis rail just behind the spring hanger – not the dumb iron area. Just shove your head under the front passenger footwell/floor area and you’ll see the little plate riveted on.

If the plate is missing you might be able to call The Heritage Centre at Gaydon and trace it from the registration number assuming it is correct.

Good luck…
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)
FenTiger

Post by FenTiger »

Ta muchly.

Looks like a PO stripped the bulkhead to take it off and repair it (partly....) and never refitted the plate. I can get a new stamped plate, I just need the VIN number to go on it, and can then apply for the V5 (VIN also needed for V5 application.

I vaguely remember seeing a tab on the N/S chassis rail. :D Fingers crossed it is there........

In the mean time, hopefully the guy I bought it from can find some paperwork.

The DVLA on line check shows it last being taxed in 1991 and license due. All the other details seem correct too, so can only assume that the number plate is correct. :D

Date of Liability 01 03 1991
Date of First Registration 15 03 1982
Year of Manufacture 1982
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 3528cc
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type PETROL
Export Marker N
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour BLUE
Vehicle Type Approval Not Available
Vehicle Excise Duty rate for vehicle
6 Months Rate £118.25
12 Months Rate £215.00
FenTiger

Post by FenTiger »

Right then, had a quick look when I got home this evening.

No evidence at all on the driver's side. There is only a thin layer of paint on the chassis, so any numbers would be pretty obvious.

Mrs Bingham,

On the passenger side (under circular opening) there is evidence of what looks like two rivets, but with no plate on anymore. :( The two small lumps are about 2" apart. Does this sound like what you describe?

If so, it looks like I have to hold out hope that the PO can find some paper work, otherwise I am going to struggle to get it registered. :(
Matt Braddish

Post by Matt Braddish »

Hi,

The only other method of establishing the chassis number might be to do an HPI check as though you were buying a second hand car. I imagine that this sort of check would provide you with both the chassis and engine number as well. It will obviously cost you a few quid unless you have a contact in the motor trade who may be able to assist, but at least you could then apply for a log book.

Matt.
Matt B
FenTiger

Post by FenTiger »

Tried the HPI check, it now only lets you know if the VIN number matches what you input. I guess this is to stop people from cloning cars. I have a another cunning plan to find the VIN number. Will have to see what it turns up, if anything.
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

Yes, those rivets are where the plate should be. Interesting that the rivets are there but no plate. They don’t just fall off :?

I think I would try and determine the reasoning for this before approaching official sources. Can you be sure it wasn’t stolen some 22 years ago and has been hidden away ever since. It does seem odd that a perfectly good 9 year old Land Rover is taken off the road although not unheard of. Back then it would still have been an expensive vehicle. What do you know about the three previous owners?

I would approach The Heritage Centre for some help. You’ve got the engine and gearbox numbers which if correct will help your cause.

Regards Mark…
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)
FenTiger

Post by FenTiger »

I should have been clearer. The remains of the rivets are there, they appear to have rusted off. The chassis has been cleaned and painted previously. So there is every chance that the plate may have been inadvertantly wire wheeled off without knowing what it was.

I ran the full HPI check and it all comes back clear, so I am happy that it is not hooky. Everything else looks spot on and I have been messing around with old land rovers for long enough to know when something is not right. :D

Doing searches at the heritage centre is very difficult without the VIN number. I am not sure what it is like for stage ones, but for Series 1, 2 & 3's, Land Rover were very poor at recording numbers (including the engine number). Normally they only recorded the VIN and sometimes the engine number. You can date a vehicle by component numbers, but not do a reverse search to determine the VIN.

I should know later today if my other avenue for finding out the VIN has worked out. Watch this space.....
FenTiger

Post by FenTiger »

Sorted :D

A friendly MOT tester pal has run the number plate through VOSA computer and found the VIN number for me. :D

Panic over. Now have a little more impetus tocrack on with getting it back on the road.
Matt Braddish

Post by Matt Braddish »

Good skills, there's always a solution when you know where to look.
Matt B
FenTiger

Post by FenTiger »

Progress! The shiney new V5 arrived today, so I officially own it now!

I am the third owner, with the the last registered change of ownership in 1987.