The Elephant from Switzerland

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
Stage1Luke

The Elephant from Switzerland

Post by Stage1Luke »

Hi everyone,

Finally, I was able to take some pictures and introduce my "Elephant", a 1981 Stage 1.

I am still working on finding out more about it (origin, usage, etc.), but seems like it is one of the 21 ordered by the Swiss Mountain Rescue in 81. Will see - the Swiss LR importer is on the case...

The Elephant is in relatively good condition. Already exchanged quite a lot of parts... more to follow. I just love it...

Cheers
Luke

1981 109 Stage 1 hardtop
1983 88 Stage 1 hardtop (project)

Post by 5988 »

welcome :D
Skookumchuck

Post by Skookumchuck »

I am dealing on a 1979 that was sold to Swiss mountain rescue as well except it is painted like a grey and black Zebroid.
redtailhawk

Post by redtailhawk »

Hi and welcome
Nice stage 1
Darren
1981 Stage 1 SW
If it's not broken don't try to fix it
landdani

Post by landdani »

Hi, nice car, any special swiss modifications ?
Wher is the dog and the wine ? :lol:
wonderful sport!
1984 SeriesIII ex-melitary, 109 inch, V8 stage one
Stage1Luke

Post by Stage1Luke »

Skookumchuck wrote:I am dealing on a 1979 that was sold to Swiss mountain rescue as well except it is painted like a grey and black Zebroid.
Hi - where do you have yours from? I am still not sure if mine was used by the Swiss rescue... The Land Rover dealer was not able to find out yet...
1981 109 Stage 1 hardtop
Stage1Luke

Post by Stage1Luke »

landdani wrote:Hi, nice car, any special swiss modifications ?
Wher is the dog and the wine ? :lol:
Thanks Dani.

Unfortunately, I cannot compare it to other Stage 1s. But it seems there is nothing special about this one, except the additional air compression brake system (not sure how you call it) for the use of trailers. It has a massive tank under the driver seat. I will take it out, as it is too heavy an I am not pulling any tons behind me... Need to find time to do it though.

Also, there are built in shelves in the back. Good storage space...
And it has an overdrive.

The restrictors have been taken out already, so it has enough power to go up the Swiss mountains at a normal speed.

I am not a mechanic and this is the first project that I am doing, so it is learning by doing and takes time. But it is a lot of fun and I am making continuous progress. I am thinking about a repaint to one of the original colours. What do you think?
1981 109 Stage 1 hardtop

Post by 5988 »

Stage1Luke wrote:
landdani wrote: But it seems there is nothing special about this one, except the additional air compression brake system (not sure how you call it) for the use of trailers. It has a massive tank under the driver seat. I will take it out
Can you take some pictures before you do please 8)