Hello everyone

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
cogin

Hello everyone

Post by cogin »

Hi, had my stage 1 for a couple of months now. i originally bought it as a project base to build a 100" coiler but having had a good poke around i have found it to be what to my untrained eye looks like a very original un molested example. So as the winter months approach I've been looking more closely at what needs to be done. Chassis, bulkhead, springs, full service for the whole drive train. May be a few other odds and ends, should have it done for spring then! :lol: not bad for something that was left in a shed for over 10 years :o
cogin

Post by cogin »

Ok read the faq and worked out how to post a pic.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... =fbx_album
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Hi and welcome,

It does look like it has not had anything done to it for some time. Rangie Classics are probably a better starting point for a 100" coiler anyway.

You can post individual pics to the forum too if you use Picassa or Photobucket, or something like that.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
cogin

Post by cogin »

Yeah, i got a chassis and and running gear for one sat next to the stage 1, going to build a tray back trials toy with it now. The gut i got i from pulled out the barn, put new plugs and points on, with a new battery and some fuel it fired up! I've fitted new clutch master and slave cylinders so i could move it about. I've kind of fallen for the old girl, and she's all there and very straight, only two little bumps that should push out.
If your not living life on the edge, your taking up to much space!
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

An appreciating classic so she is well worth saving especially if she is unmolested and complete. Welcome aboard and don’t be afraid to post questions as there is a mine of quality info between us fellow V8 owners.

Interesting colour!

Regards Mark…
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)
cogin

Post by cogin »

i was told it was a special order colour, i would like to know a bit more on the history of this one, where is the best place to look?
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

I think the colour is Pastel Green RTC4041A which is a standard LR colour but quite unusual nevertheless. It certainly needs a polish!!! The cross member looks about as knackered as it gets but certainly not rocket science to remedy. She looks good enough to re-chassis if funds permit. After 10 years laid up was she a bargain? If she’s running then change all the oils straight away as 10 year old oil will not be good especially the engine oil!

How to go about tracing the history will depend on a few things like how many owners from new and how much paperwork if any you have. She doesn’t look like she’s ever been sign written so probably been in private ownership from new. Aside from the 10 years in storage how long had the previous owner had her for? Gaydon Heritage Centre is a good starting block for an official trace but I don’t know how much info they might have except from when she was first produced.

What’s the strange black thing above the fog light?
Try and post some more photos.

Regards Mark…
cogin

Post by cogin »

needs a bit more than a polish, may give the mur a workout to see what happens!

Will check the V5 which is all the paperwork it came with, as far as i know it was in the hands of a farmer who passed it to his daughter on passing, she couldn't afford to run it hence it got parked up. Its only shows 16k on the clock with a little sticker bellow stating the oil was changed at 11k, i'm not sure how genuine the mileage is as the peddle rubbers have a reasonable amount of wear but the seats are in very good condition.

I paid £800 for her and had to go down to Hemel Hampstead to collect her.

The black thing above the fog is a door bumper as far as i can tell, the door stay has been disconnected from the tub floor! not sure its a standard fit item? also the spare is inside, bolted in and every thing, not on the door mount!
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

If it’s done 16k round a farm then the pedal rubbers will be worn but it’ll be nice to think that it is genuine. I guess the only way to find out would be the obvious lack of wear on certain components when stripped down but there are no guarantees. I’m sure if it was 116k there will be signs here and there aside from corrosion.

I’ve had a look and the bump stop is correct for rear door mounted spare wheel to stop them slamming into the body when the door is opened. It doesn’t take much to rip the stay out of the tub floor. My one has the spare inside hence no bump stop. I’ve seen spares on the bonnet, rear door and inside all on the same vehicle so there is no exact science. If your welding skills are up to it and you have to replace all the outriggers and so on it is still worth doing. Your one doesn’t seem to have so much as a cable tie out of place.

Good luck…
cogin

Post by cogin »

I may well be taking a lot of photos so i can put it back the way it came apart!

Post by 5988 »

The little black thing above the fog light, is there to stop you opening the door into it and crushing it
as far as im aware it is standard fittment whit the fog lamp (Ive yet to see a S3 with the fog lamp, without it , or the holes where it used to be)
cogin

Post by cogin »

After what seams weeks of sorting other peoples stuff out i finally got round to doing an oil change and a few other service tweaks, the joy of not having to jack it up to get underneath! though i did find the use of the tool box was required to reach the middle of the engine and both carbs at the same time, else there's a lot of walking involved setting the carbs up! She was ticking over at 450rpm when warm, no wonder the charge light was on! but still giving 60psi oil pressure!
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Oil pressure sounds high. According to the book it should only be 30-40lb at 2400rpm (normal running speed). Idle should be 700-750 rpm.

I use a short step ladder :)
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5

Post by 5988 »

i agree that does sound high,
so could suggest a problem (either engine or the gauge /sender)
cogin

Post by cogin »

As you say those are the most likely suspects, and as i did notice the pressure takes a while to go once he engine has stopped! more investigation required