just like to say hello and help......

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
jollydolly1962

Post by jollydolly1962 »

thanks for replies i think the cut down 109 could be a more probable answer but that will need further investigation i think the only reason its reg as a 73 is because the vin plate is still on the drivers side seat box ill put pic of that up
paint wise there are signs of the light blue on the drop tail and i will check the rear body for it later today i did notice the diffs werent salisbury my self ill put pics of those up too i take it the only way ill know what the ratios are is by taking apart.. i do intend to do that later cause they need new seals and a damn good clean up
i have sent pics to dunsfold but havent had ne reply yet but before that i spoke to him on the phone and he said it was nothing mor than a made up.... thats why i started lookin deeper into it..th last thing to do is write to eric pagan project engineer who deals with traceability at landrover ...im going to send all the info and the pics see if he can tell me history ... ie both vehicles....
jollydolly1962

Post by jollydolly1962 »

http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad71 ... era773.jpg
http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad71 ... era775.jpg
http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad71 ... era779.jpg
http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad71 ... era780.jpg
http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad71 ... era788.jpg
http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad71 ... era789.jpg
http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad71 ... era778.jpg

thanks again here are some more shots as i said i think its more a hybrid from a lwb and some one has shrunk it in the wash would be nice to know what axles are they the rover ones.....ive managed to get the no for traceabilty landrover just no one answering the v5 show a chassis 92100320A the engine is down as 90139420A but the v5 also says 3500cc ????? work that one out ... i havent sent it off yet i want to get confirmation of the history of the chassis no and via eric the engine then ill decide which reg it be under...throw confusion to any body that looks at her
Pageant Blue 109 V8

Post by Pageant Blue 109 V8 »

Where does the exhaust tailpipe exit the vehicle? A picture would be good.

The 88 V8's have a unique arrangement.

If it is a chopped 109 or replica it has been done very well, but why would it be in storage for 15 years, particularly as replicas have only been thought about in recent years?

I believe the 88's used the Rover style rear axle, the Salisbury would make the rear prop too short and steep. Plus there is the spring and chassis mounting problems.

RR, Discovery and 90 Defender quite happily cope with Rover type diffs front and back. The Salisbury is for the heavy loads that a 109 would be subjected to.

You may be able to tell I've been looking at building a replica.....

jollydolly, where in Kent are you?

Paul
jollydolly1962

Post by jollydolly1962 »

the exhaust exits through the round hole in the rear cross member i think the suggestion that its a shrunk 109 is the more probable with a cut rear body
have just sent letter to eric pagan with his £15 payment just have to wait and see what he comes up with ive asked him for information on the chassis no and also if he can give me any info on the engine and well see what comes up
Last edited by jollydolly1962 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jollydolly1962

Post by jollydolly1962 »

sorry forgot as to the storage unsure belive owned by farmer near hastings and spent its life on there.....but had a new owner in 98
dvla give you all the info on your vehicle that they have for £5 money well spent i think....over the next couple of weeks am going to take thing apart and do some more searching and obviously some spending for parts that are required ive sold my classic motorbike to fund it
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

hope this helps :)

Are there any verified 88" Stage 1's in England?
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
jollydolly1962

Post by jollydolly1962 »

alan is there a reason uve put those pics up...thats my one

i spent 16 years with landrovers in the army i have driven them been driven in them and been crashed in them they are amazing vehicles that will go any where as long as you take your time ive been on about getting one to restore for a few years ive restored a couple of beetles and a camper and i love the simplicity and the fact that compared to loads of others are easy and cheap to rebuild...

one question that has been bugging me for ages......why hasnt any of these compnaies produced a stainless steel chassis with stainless being only marginally more expensive to mild is it so that no matter what one day you will have to buy a replacement chassis......thats a question from my father a welder for over 39 years isit cause they would have to be tig welded ....
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

jollydolly1962 wrote:alan is there a reason uve put those pics up...thats my one
Because on forums it is easier to read when the images that are linked can be viewed within the context of the forum rather than having to leave it to see them. Those pictures, your pictures, are linked from your album, that's all. I haven't put them up, you have. I've just linked to them. It's how the interweb works :)
jollydolly1962 wrote:one question that has been bugging me for ages......why hasnt any of these compnaies produced a stainless steel chassis with stainless being only marginally more expensive to mild is it so that no matter what one day you will have to buy a replacement chassis......thats a question from my father a welder for over 39 years isit cause they would have to be tig welded ....
Probably because stainless steel is more prone to stress fractures than the kinds of steel used in chassis manufacture. Possibly weight as well(?)

I doubt that the method of welding would be such an issue.

Stirling would be better placed to answer this kind of question.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
jollydolly1962

Post by jollydolly1962 »

hello to all..the plot thickens...just had a phone call from landrover traceability..eric pagan is no longer there...but the guy i spoke to was fantastic...the chassis number def relates to an 88" ( SWB) landrover series 3 built in april 73 registered in july 73
the engine 11GO**** IS a 1977 engine that was allocated to 109 stage 1 the plot thickens when hes found out more hes gona let me know so im gona keep the 73 reg i dont think it matters really but i need to get answers from the dvla as to the engine history ....
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Quality stainless (not Chinese) is considerably dearer when compared to the standard hot or cold rolled sheet used in press works. It is also dramatically harder to work with (ability to bend, fold or press, tool blunting, additional lubrication during pressing process...). A Land-Rover chassis is primarily pressed. It isn't odd bits of sheet, cut with a gas axe and welded together.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

There's an article in LRO, July 2004 apparently. I am trying to get my hands on a copy.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
jollydolly1962

been a while

Post by jollydolly1962 »

apologise for not posting ne thing for a while had to go away to france ..family illness....
i have recently started taking apart all main body panels are now unbolted but have not been taken off ..i recently enquired about a new chassis and decided against that after being given a qoute of 1800 plus vat because of what it is.....i spoke to the my father... who was a welder for over 40 years and taught welding about converting a standard chassis using parts from mine so weve already made a couple of jigs to start the process but at the moment its all about time...and weather.... and the fact that ive got to get rid of a couple of other projects that im doing..but the lanny has taken priority... right fully so...
i def cant afford that sort of money and as my father said..hell of a price for box section.... i have taken more pictures and will add when i can remeber how to do it i still dont know if its gen or a knock up some of these new photos will show where the steering box is and how the brakes pipes run and a few other things
i managed to pick up a pretty decent chassis for 180 but had to travel to bristol to pick it up ive added a couple of it too it has had repairs done but they have been carried out well and very acurately
[/list]
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Good to hear of the update.

I guess with something like this it is a good idea to take your time and do it right.

If you can upload the pics to your album I can link to them again from here if you like.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5