just like to say hello and help......

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
jollydolly1962

just like to say hello and help......

Post by jollydolly1962 »

ive just bought v8 that has been left in barn on farm for 15 years and driven round once in a while...needs some work no vin plate in engine bay and has been registered for some reason as a 73 petrol im assuming that the rear body has been added and the person that did that registered it that way !!!!.. its also a swb..ive been told its rare ...is that true
jollydolly1962

Post by jollydolly1962 »

sorry the other thing is does anyone know the swg of the mild steel used for the chassis as i need to get some to do some repair work ...thank you
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Hi there and welcome :)

Would be good to see some images of said vehicle.

You can check the OEM information for your vehicle. Just post up the VIN number off the firewall.

Really. You have a Stage 1 V8 SWB?? OK, now I must insist on those photos and the VIN number! :P

[Edit: Brief search shows there were only ever 24 production 88" Stage 1's made. There were, apparently 4 pre-production models and one prototype, so in all only 29. If you have one of those, then yes, it is rare - very rare. It should not be trashed because it represents an important part of Land Rover's history as a proof of concept vehicle leading to what I think was one Land Rover's most successful versions, the V8 90.]
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
landdani

Post by landdani »

Hi, their is a photo of 2 SWB landrover V8 side by side on the sand of the ocen. (on the home page of thie website).
Chake and copare with yours.
wonderful sport!
1984 SeriesIII ex-melitary, 109 inch, V8 stage one
jollydolly1962

Post by jollydolly1962 »

thanks for your replies no vin plate on firewall only signs that is was there the engine show 11G0**** an 82 v8 engine for stage 1.. my msn hotmail address is..... jollydolly1962@hotmail.com
get in touch and ill be able to send you some pics that way everything about it says stage 1 v8 lt95 4 speed gearbox the central tunnel is not some cut up bodge job all the parts to it are genuine even the left hand foot well has the cut outs for fitting the pedals etc, the high low is on the drivers side underneath the seat the diff lock is central the prop shaft to the front has a double cv joint gaitered half way down the battery box is under the passenger seat.
unfortunately she needs a lot of chassis repair although its all on the main beams the outriggers are all without rust rot luckily as my dad was a welder for over 30 years i think we can save it
there are hundreds of things i need to ask to get her back on the road
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

You should have something that looks like this:

You should find it somewhere near here:

Otherwise a search on your registration plate ought to yield the VIN number, engine number, chassis number etc. It seems that most 88" Stage 1's (at least all those I have heard about) actually had 109" VIN number series numbers.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

It sounds like your truck has had an interesting past. If it is a genuine Stage1 88” then some serious investigation is necessary to prove its authenticity.

There will be a VIN number riveted to the outer face of chassis rail under the passenger floor but whether it is present or legible remains to be seen although as mentioned in another post I’m not sure if the 88’s used the V8 VIN number sequence. Can you confirm if the chassis is Stage1 – the front cross member will be close to the back of the front bumper and number 2 cross member will be absent. There will other be telltale signs I’m sure but it could simply be a cut down 109 V8 or a bastardised 1973 88” with the Stage1 bits grafted on which would explain the v5 doc. The missing VIN plate doesn’t help but if it is a Stage1 bulkhead bolted to an older frame then that makes sense I guess. You should be able to tell if it has been modified post factory. Being registered as a 73 makes it tax exempt yes?

Try and post some photos of the crucial areas.

Good luck…
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)
landdani

Post by landdani »

Hi, use this to tell you how to pout a photos:
http://www.stage1v8.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=458
About your car, you should check the chassis number then send a letter to (heritage center) to give you all the information.
wonderful sport!
Pageant Blue 109 V8

Post by Pageant Blue 109 V8 »

This site may be of interest:

http://www.tobago.at/photo.htm

Looks like he has one of the T&T 88's.

Did the 88" V8 also use the Stage 1 steering relay? Surely that would be a dead giveaway as to authenticity, I doubt a bodge job would go so far to swop over relays.

Paul.
landdani

Post by landdani »

jollydolly1962 wrote:thanks for your replies no vin plate on firewall only signs that is was there the engine show 11G0**** an 82 v8 engine for stage 1.. my msn hotmail address is..... jollydolly1962@hotmail.com
According to :http://www.landroverv8.com/v8engines/v8engines.pdf
The 11G0**** is a landrover serie3 stage1 year 1982.
(11G00001 Stage 1 8.13:1 CR 1982)
wonderful sport!
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Pageant Blue 109 V8 wrote:This site may be of interest:

http://www.tobago.at/photo.htm

Looks like he has one of the T&T 88's.

Did the 88" V8 also use the Stage 1 steering relay? Surely that would be a dead giveaway as to authenticity, I doubt a bodge job would go so far to swop over relays.

Paul.
That's a very interesting site. I especially like this quote from it:
A total of 29 of these trucks were built by the Solihull factory in 1982, inclusive of one prototype. Of these cars 5, inclusive of the prototype remained in the UK, the remaining 24 were apparently ordered by the police force of Jamaica. For whatever reason this deal did not go through, and all 24 were shipped to the Land Rover general importer, Mr. Robinson, of Trinidad and Tobago.

Rumor has it, that 2 of the five UK trucks still exist today, but I have been unable so far to trace their ownership and/or existence. There is no word of the prototype.
So if all the production models were exported, could it be that yours, jollydolly, is one of the prototypes??? I mean, wouldn't that be exciting :D

Also:
The oddity of these trucks is that in the chassis number all are identified as H, standing for the 2.25 ltr. Petrol model.
And:
The chassis number of my truck is: SALLBAAH1AA159962
The engine number is: 11GO1928
Which matches with what you have too.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
jollydolly1962

Post by jollydolly1962 »

hi firstly thank you all for your replies ...so here goes ..the bulk head shows signs of where the vum plate was and the original colour is a light blue the front chassis member is right forward of the dog legs just behind the bumper no second cross member the cross member under the gearbox is bolt on
the gearbox is an lt95 4 speed with high low under the drivers seat pull out or push in the front prop shaft has a double cv joint assy gaiter half way down the diff lock is in the middle ie centre of seat box and tunnel the battery box is under the passenger seat the tunnel i have taken out is in 2 parts and where it connects to the bulkhead shows no sign of it being cut to accept this bearbox or these 2 parts the two floor plates have no cut outs so not from a normal lanny with the diif lock on the floor the 2 restrictor plates with the 4 holes are stilll in the carbs inlet manifolds im trying to sort out photobucket at moment so i can post some pics but if u want my email add is
jollydolly1962@hotmail.com mail me and ill send u some pics if you cant wait she is in a sorry state and to be honest i dont care if she a bodge or anything else im still gona get her back on the road
Kiwistage1V8

Post by Kiwistage1V8 »

You lucky, lucky bugger.

That looks to be the genuine article.

Well done!
Stop Global Whining.
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

It is certainly ticking a lot of the Stage1 boxes from what I can see and it certainly doesn’t look like a bodge job so for now I’ll stick with two theory’s 1) cut down 109 V8 (Stage1) or 2) a genuine Stage1 88” which could even be a pre production model (prototype). It was also previously Pageant Blue which was a Stage1 colour. I’m not convinced about the rear axle - it doesn’t look like a Salisbury unit so it would be interesting to know what the front axle is from or what diffs are fitted as that was all Stage1 specific. The engine looks like it is pre detox so probably originally produced circa 1981 on a “W” or an early “X” registration however the detox system may not have been required for the intended export order which could place it slightly later.

For me I would investigate the history for sure. First thing would be to clean down the chassis and satisfy myself that it is a genuine Stage1 88” that has not been chopped and hopefully find a VIN. Then seek more advice. Perhaps give Dunsfold a call. The mystery for me would be why it is registered as being 1973. In light of it being stored for so long (15 years) there is obviously no tax benefit unless it was recently registered as a 73 which looking at the condition would serve little purpose. I would contact DVLA to find out when it was registered and see if they can shed any light. Hopefully the reasons behind it are genuine and that it is not a ringer!!! I doubt that there is any finance outstanding; lol. The current V5 must have a VIN on it so trace the origin of that; I suspect the VIN on the V5 is for the 73 88”. What would be nice if you could somehow trace the original circa 1981 registration number. Find that out then you will have good chance of tracing it and more importantly verifying its authenticity.

If it is a genuine 88” Stage1 then it could become a very rare and desirable piece of kit so it is encouraging to know that you intend on returning it to the road.

Good luck and keep the information flowing.

Regards Mark…
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)