CV Joints?!

Technical questions and answers
Davo

Post by Davo »

Oh dear, looks like a bit of confusion!

The County - or more correctly called, as someone else pointed out, the early 110 - CVs are supposed to be as strong as the Stage I. The Stage I had some of the strongest CVs from the Land-Rover range, so no worries there.

The 110 CVs are shorter, and apparently you can Loctite a bolt and washer in the end to give the required endfloat. I've heard of this being done but don't know any more than that. Usually they would be held in place with a circlip, just like with the Stage I.

I had the idea of machining the hub driving flange down so that a 110 CV could be held in place with a circlip - but I haven't done it! However, the flanges are cheap and easy to get so it would be worth a try. The only problem is that the o-ring groove for the end cap would then be gone, but this could probably be stuck on with something gooey like Hylomar.

In the end I bought some Stage I CVs and other bits from LR Series. Don't ask what it cost! It was a moment of madness!
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

Old topic, but as I'm converting early type TIC discbrakes I found out my CV's are crap. I bought the AEU 2522 from early 110 and indeed they are about 4 mm's too short. Also about half a mm to wide to fit thru the Swivelhousing, so have to machine them down a bit.

I came up with the same solution as Davo, to machine the drive flanges down at the end. I calculated, when I won't refit the (0.5mm) thin washer behind the circlip I will have about 1 mm of material left in front of the O-ring groove for the endcap. This should do.

I think this is the cheapest way of replacing knackered CV's as they are becoming very rare and unaffordable. Cheapes ones I found were over €500..
88 stage1

Post by 88 stage1 »

map1275

Post by map1275 »

That's cheap!
88 stage1

Post by 88 stage1 »

compared to £290 it is? cheapest, not cheap lol
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

Just missed 2 on internet, brand new AEU2522 for €30.. THATS cheap :)
88 stage1

Re: CV Joints?!

Post by 88 stage1 »

Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

I have had to do some very extensive reasearch into parts for the stage 1 axle, in particular the swivels and the cv joints which everyone is charging an absolute fortune for.
I am in the middle of sorting out my front axle which has needed two new swivel balls and cv joints amongst other things.
I can CONFIRM that the CV joint AEU 2522 is the part you can use as an alternate cv joint, cost me £17.50 each for new ones, but as mentioned above there are some clearance issues that need to be addressed.
The standard series 3 swivel ball WILL FIT with a little machining or grinding.
I am also doing away with the ralco bush and replacing it with a taper roller bearing, very easy job to do.

With suppliers charging around £400 each for swivel balls and cv joints, the saving I have made has paid for my other major mod to the front axle. More on that later :wink: :wink:
Once I have rebuilt my front axle, I will post full details on what I have done with pics
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Good to hear.

Looking forward to hearing how/what you did.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Mik

Post by Mik »

Hi Alicerover

Did you manage to do the axle modifications you mentioned in this old tread ?

I've just been lucky to secure 2 AEU1828, so I'm good for now :)
Michael
1965 109 FC SIIA
1982 109 V8 SIII CSW Stage One
1982 109 V8 SIII HCPU Stage One
1990 RRC Vogue SE
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Hi, Yes I have managed to complete the axle mods as listed, with very little effort!
If you search on this forum for disc brake conversion, I have put up a comprehensive guide to this process, including the use of the alternative parts. I found that the driving caps only needed a couple of mm to be machined of which still enabled me to use the circlip.
I was very pleased that everything fitted given the other mods I was making to the front axle. My vehicle is still some way of being back on the road due to lack of time, but now I have a new gear and transfere box to fit hopefully some more progress will be made.
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

Piling on to an old thread....

One of my CV joints has started clicking. I took both sides out and took them completely apart and I have wear grooves and bumps inside both sides (just more and worse on the clicking side). So now I am in the market to replace my CV joints.

As time has passed since the original posts went up - I simply can not find original Stage One CV joints at any price. It appears my decision to use the AEU2522 part is one that is made for me.

I think I want to go the route of using the bolt / washer in the end of the axle instead of machining down my hub. The primary reason for this is that I do not have access to a machine that would skim 4mm from my hub flange and I do have access to bolts and washers. (see this forum as another resource for this method - http://forums.roversnorth.com/showthrea ... ful-so-far )

I have ordered all of my parts from the UK (Paddocks / LR Series) and even a few Stateside (Rovah Farm). I ordered from so many places because I did not wait until I was completely disassembled before making my order. I made the first order, took more stuff apart and realized that I forgot a few small things, and then took some more apart and realized that I just broke a few things.... typical Rover repair story for me.

While I wait for all the parts to arrive - are there any updated stories from anyone about how these CV's worked? How did the shaved hub flanges do with regards to keeping the axle hub caps on?

For those curious as to why my CVs are showing wear... I run my truck pretty hard both on long highway trips and pretty hard off road. My front swivel oils seals went bad and let some water into the hubs, too. The photo below shows the swivel "oil" leaking out a bolt hole while I was taking apart the hub / spindle.

-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Ouch, yeah. That'd do it :?

Possible you got some grit in there too to speed up the eating process. Lovely grinding paste.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I just read in this month's Classic Land Rover magazine that 'Jaguar Land Rover are to offer original Land Rover vehicle parts for a variety of heritage models that have been out of production for longer than a decade ... the brand will gradually reintroduce more original part numbers - all made using original tooling methods ..' I hope this will be good news for us Stage 1 owners. While improvising can be an interesting challenge and demonstrates considerable initiative, I wonder if there is not also some way, especially for any of us like me not so mechanically gifted and where there is no obvious improvement which can be made over the original, to demonstrate to Jaguar Land Rover that there is a demand for now unobtainable Stage 1 parts, especially with the current trend towards trying to keep vehicles of this era as original as possible.
Last edited by Geoff on Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
Mik

Post by Mik »

Yes, that would be excellent news. Maybe I should put my two NOS AEU1828 on Ebay and earn a small fortune :)
Michael
1965 109 FC SIIA
1982 109 V8 SIII CSW Stage One
1982 109 V8 SIII HCPU Stage One
1990 RRC Vogue SE