Original ignition setup

Stop Global Whining.
Kiwistage1V8

Post by Kiwistage1V8 »

New setup...

Stop Global Whining.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Nice-n-tidy. Where'd you get the parts, Segedin's?
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Kiwistage1V8

Post by Kiwistage1V8 »

disco2hse wrote:Nice-n-tidy. Where'd you get the parts, Segedin's?
Nah, segey's was horrendously expensive. They wanted $190 for the module alone. I got the module for US$38, the coil was $US63, and the ballast resistor another US$16, all through ebay. All told, including postage it came to NZ$210, plus another NZ$50 odd for the voltage converter.

Worked a treat.
Stop Global Whining.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Good stuff. That post's going to come in useful I am sure.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
billingtond

Post by billingtond »

hi all the NZ army v8 owners, I have coverted my to 12V, go rid of all the army 24V stuff, the new system is simple and bullet proof

Details as follows,

Pertronix Ignitor II 9ML 182 [this is all you need for the ignition]
Pertronix Flame thrower low Resistance coil 0.6 ohms
24v to 12 V converter.

Bought all the gear direct fronm the US carpartsdirect. great service prompt delivery seven days from the order, 300 Kiwi delivered.

There is no need for a ballast in this set up, the 9ML 182 goes into the dizzy without any mods, picks the exsiting mounts up. The army rotor arm is used, with a little mod, the instructions that come with the electronic ignition are good. The Landy runs a lot better, and has not missed a beat since installed. I would up load the photos if I new how.
Last edited by billingtond on Fri May 22, 2009 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

It's always good to hear of successful conversions. For me, for now, I prefer to stay with a 24V system.

If and when I do change over to 12V I will be taking the opportunity to do a complete rewire. Get rid of all the oddball army stuff for the split charging system, etc. and replace all the dodgy looking connections and hanging wire ends with a decent loom. But in the meantime I have found the 24V system to be very reliable and produce a good spark from the first crank of the starter. Any issues have not been related to the amount of voltage but to the state of the current loom.

Then again. If I do rewire I may just stick with the 24V system anyway.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
billingtond

Post by billingtond »

Hi, the only reason why I swapped over was the system had failed. My other stage one V8 is still running the 24V system without any problems, touch wood. I am going to put an artical up on parabolic spring, I have just fitted them best money ever spent.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Well, it's my turn to deal with this issue.

I need to replace those pesky rubber bobbins. I remember someone saying they used something from a mini but I can't recall who or what they were called.

Can you help me jog my memory, thanks.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Kiwistage1V8

Post by Kiwistage1V8 »

pm map1275, twas he who did that.

Oh, and btw, forward that info on when you get a chance....

Having asked for that though, it is, with a module internalised in the dizzy, probably totally unnecessary.

Still, pretty cheap peace of mind....
Stop Global Whining.
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

Those bobbins are commonly known in the UK as cotton reel mounts. They are used on the rear subframes on older Mini's for the exhaust mounts.
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Just got back and jumping on the end of this...

This question does seem to pop up a bit and I nave managed to acquire a bit of technical (NZDF and MZMC) detail despite not having worked on one.

The NZDF vehicles have;

24 Volt as standard, 12 volt is a home made modification.

The original Lucas (points) distributor is virtually the same as that used on 101 FC.

There is a later NZDF modification to a replacement distributor. This is NOT Mallory a part but does use some Mallory components. Primarily the distributor. The unit is modified and equipped with an entirely local remote module and coil assembly.

Mallory make their own 12 volt points or electronic distributors but don't make a matching advance curve for what we want. They will fit and work but this probably isn't worth while considering cost and still not ending up with a direct match. Otherwise, the Mallory units are quite affordable.
Kiwistage1V8

Post by Kiwistage1V8 »

The distributor is a Mallory unilite, and they make modules to fit internally, notably the 6100m e-spark which when installed in my dizzy (while not mapped) works absolutely perfectly.

I got the information directly from one of the mechanics who still works at the trentham army base to this date, and has done for over 20 years.
Stop Global Whining.
map1275

Post by map1275 »

You can't buy a NZDF 24 V distributor from Mallory as Mallory never made it.

Mallory made a basic distributor for the Rover/Buick V8 range which the NZDF purchased on mass and then modified to suit their application; external coil and control box, distributor vent, etc.

I haven't found a listing from Mallory for a 24 volt module for their later electronic distributor with incorporated module.