Diff Difference

Technical questions and answers
mikeinbeverley

Diff Difference

Post by mikeinbeverley »

Got my diff sorted by Crown Diffs nr Grantham, 2.83:1 fitted & rebuilt. The bloke there has been doing LR & RR diffs for 4 yrs & has all the kit. He knows his stuff & returned it in 24hrs. Its a lot quieter than the 3.54:1 with the old Fairey OD. I'd often wondered what the comparison would be......there isn't one! Not everyone would want the taller overall gearing, but it suits my purposes.

Just thought I'd give good service & value a plug, don't often get the chance!
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

I take it he did both difs?

Jon

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
mikeinbeverley

Post by mikeinbeverley »

Well spotted! No, I just got one done to try out - for all I knew, having "overdrive" in all gears might not have made it very "driveable", so decided to hedge my bets. But it's ok. Crown Diffs on holiday now for 3 weeks. Just need to remember, don't engage 4wd just yet!

However, more demand on wallet......the old problem of the disappearing water hasn't miraculously cured itself - no leaks, no steam out of exhaust, just vanishes. I'll take a short run to Hornsea tomorrow with a large container of coolant & see how many miles I'm getting to the pint. If it's too bad, I'll be going "off road" again for a while. I don't suppose it"s anything a"new" engine won't cure. AAARGH!!!!
martin hughes

Post by martin hughes »

give the radiator a good looking at, it can "steam" but not drip onto the floor, also check if there is white emulsified oil under your oil filler cap.
1982 109 V8 Station Wagon
1965 88 Short Wheel Base
firemanshort

Missing Water

Post by firemanshort »

Keep us posted on the missing water - I suspect I may on the same road....
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
mikeinbeverley

Post by mikeinbeverley »

The agony & the ecstasy! Had a great run to coast & back, at 60 the only noise was the roar of the wind & a bit of exhaust, around 2,200rpm on the clock. Meant to keep speed down because of new diff, got carried away & backed off as it topped 75. Back home, diff just nicely warm, so no harm done. BUT my 26 miles cost me half a litre of coolant!!! Sadly the radiator is brand new, and no, none of the dreaded oily scum inside oil filler. Blast! That's the pleasure uf S3 ownership.....you crack one problem, & up pops another, usually more expensive. Might just stick to short runs this year & see to engine next Spring. The really galling thing is it's running like silk & just begging for a good long burn.

I reckon the problem must be porosity in the alloy casting, possibly one or other of the heads. I've had this engine for at least 12 yrs, & it was old then! Old age kills as well as miles.

Anyone want to swap a none water- eating V8 for a set of lightweight springs & a 50cc (old) Yamaha ?

Don't all shout at once!!
Kiwistage1V8

Post by Kiwistage1V8 »

mikeinbeverley wrote: Anyone want to swap a none water- eating V8 for a set of lightweight springs & a 50cc (old) Yamaha ?
as tempting as the offer sounds, I think I'll have to decline.

but thanks anyway........

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stop Global Whining.
mikeinbeverley

Post by mikeinbeverley »

Pity, but postage costs would have been a bit steep!!!