Thrust washer thickness..

Technical questions and answers
Elguru

Thrust washer thickness..

Post by Elguru »

Heh Guys,

I have a typical problem with my LT95 transfer case. Lots of clunks when not being super gentle.
Diagnosed to 47 thou (spec 6-8 thou) end float on the intermediate gear cluster in transfer box.
Have it all out and it seems the 4 thrust washers are well worn.
Does anyone know the original genuine thickness of a new one (FRC3500) before I order other parts to take up the clearance.?

Thanks Andrew.
Cliff4WD

Re: Thrust washer thickness..

Post by Cliff4WD »

Not sure of sizes. I ordered my rebuild kit from synchro gearboxes so maybe they may be able to answer your questions (and supply parts).
Cliff

1981 109 V8 Stage 1
2000 Discovery 2 Td5

109 V8: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2161
My Disco Thread: http://www.thed2boysclub.co.uk/viewtopi ... =3&t=58130

LAND ROVER. TURNING OWNERS INTO PAUPERS FOR 70 YEARS
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Look in your service bulletins under Range-Rover, late 1970s early 1980s. There were non standard sizes available and had to be of a special material.
Elguru

Post by Elguru »

Thanks....

They are NOT the pear shaped thrust washers On the ends of the shaft (which vary in thickness from 3.55mm to 3.96mm) but the 4 phosphor bronze thrust washers in between all the gears etc.
Nowhere in any publication is the thickness specified. All 4 of mine are badly worn so I was hoping to find out before I order any of the very expensive end ones.
udo1-ton

Post by udo1-ton »

I can't give an answer to the thickness, sorry!

But before you install the new trust washers, give them a test! There are steel washers on the market!!! They look absolutly identical to the bronze items! They work for 200 miles, after that the surface of the high gear wheel will be worn out!

Don' t ask why I know... :oops: