Front brake shoe supplier

Technical questions and answers
Finn1

Front brake shoe supplier

Post by Finn1 »

Could anyone point me toward a supplier for decent front brake shoes?
I bought some Britpart ones and the performance is very poor, friction wise.
Yes, I've fixed everything else.
Thanks.
Geoff

Re: Front brake shoe supplier

Post by Geoff »

2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
Finn1

Post by Finn1 »

Thank you!
Finn1

Post by Finn1 »

Finn1 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:21 pm
Thank you!
So, I ordered these and have been faffing with them for months now.
The friction material is good but the supplied 2 differing types with spring holes in different places, one without a spring hole. Suffice to say I drilled it in the wrong place and hade to weld it up and have another crack. The others had the spring hole to close to the pin, fouling the adjuster so I re-drilled those.
After no end of adjusting I concluded the non cylinder end was a little on the short side where it seated in the back of the opposing cylinder meaning shoe contact with the drum was confined to a short section of the leading edge of the shoe. I added about 3-4mm of weld to the non cylinder end of the shoe to get them sitting out a bit and the brakes have improved dramatically.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Any branding on them? TBH all that faff makes them sound worth avoiding in my view though as ever if nothing else is available it’s not good. I’ve had issues with the snail cam pegs before, either too long so they hit the backplate or loose so they need a blob of weld on the back. Weak or mispositioned springs certainly make a massive difference as you say.