Speedometer

Technical questions and answers
Geoff

Speedometer

Post by Geoff »

Stupid question time. Can anyone tell me if/confirm that the speedometer for the Stage 1 with the 1376 turns per mile figure on it is the same speedo as for the standard Series 3 109, ie part number PRC1775 in the Parts Book and now apparently superceded by RTC5035, which is marketed here as also for the 88 with 7.50x16 tyres? It's an 'academic' question - I don't need one, although I have a spare one and I suppose it would be useful to know all its applications should I ever decide to sell it. I'm confused because I have also seen the figure of 1408 turns per mile quoted as correct for the 88 with 7.50x16 tyres. I've never bought a new speedo and (mercifully) not given any thought before to their Land Rover part numbers. I guess I just assumed the 1376 (mine are Jaeger) was unique to the Stage 1, but the lack of separate part numbers in the Parts Book seems to suggest otherwise. The question arose on another forum and I'm now very confused. Does the different rear diff ratio in the Stage 1 make a difference and, if so, is that compensated by any of the different speedo worm gear, pinion and cable for the Stage 1, which are shown in the Parts Book? map?
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
map1275

Re: Speedometer

Post by map1275 »

In the KPH version, all 109 with the same tyres use the same speedo.
Had my original fitment gauge fixed. Have a new replacement as a spare and have used ones from concurrent Series III.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Thanks map (thought you'd know) That settles it as I thought - I had been labouring under a misapprehension (couldn't remember the number on my old Series 3 109 2.25 - probably never took any notice of it back then as long as it worked)
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

I thought that the regular Series 3 with the 4.7 differential had a different speedometer than the Stage One with the 3.54 differential.
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

Ok - the parts book does not differentiate with Stage One or Regular Series 3 - just tire size and wheel base. Odd.
Speedo Part.JPG
Speedo Part.JPG (143.29 KiB) Viewed 479 times
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA