Getting it Running

Technical questions and answers
DeRiecroft

Getting it Running

Post by DeRiecroft »

Hi all,
I have taken ownership of a 1980 stage 1, I have belief it hasn’t run or been on the road since the early 2000’s. This being the first carby vehicle I have owned where do I start with getting it going? What’s the main things I should check and make sure are there? And even the little things which will help. I do know the clutch seems to be stuck engaged so that might take some fluffing around with.

Thanks everyone
CROFTY

:arrow: 1980 Stage 1 V8 109” 2 Door
:arrow: 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6
map1275

Re: Getting it Running

Post by map1275 »

I assume you mean it doesn't run, therefore fuel and spark as with anything.

Does it turn over, is the fuel pump ticking, is there fresh petrol in the tank...
DeRiecroft

Post by DeRiecroft »

map1275 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:30 am I assume you mean it doesn't run, therefore fuel and spark as with anything.

Does it turn over, is the fuel pump ticking, is there fresh petrol in the tank...
Yes map1275, it doesn’t run, I haven’t attempted turn over yet. I was going to clean fuel tank, change oil and filters first before attempting just wanted to make sure I didn’t try prematurely and suck something that should have been cleaned and clear through the engine instead
CROFTY

map1275

Post by map1275 »

I understand your logic but the usual practise is to get it running first, then perform the service. Having dealt with multiple cars from storage in the past few months, skipping the fuel tank altogether can be well worth while. Find a fuel tank from a lawn mower etc. and hang from the bonnet with fresh fuel.
DeRiecroft

Post by DeRiecroft »

map1275 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:29 am I understand your logic but the usual practise is to get it running first, then perform the service. Having dealt with multiple cars from storage in the past few months, skipping the fuel tank altogether can be well worth while. Find a fuel tank from a lawn mower etc. and hang from the bonnet with fresh fuel.
The mower fuel is a great idea! I am currently removing the radiator for a proper flush and clean (I just can’t seem to bring myself to leave it with it being abandoned for close to 15years) will keep everyone posted when I get her going. Unfortunately it may take longer as we are being relocated for work
CROFTY