Renovation of a 1982 109 V8 ute

Technical questions and answers
Snowy1

Renovation of a 1982 109 V8 ute

Post by Snowy1 »

I am currently doing a complete nuts and bolt restoration of a 1982 109 V8 ute in Melbourne Australia.

I am wishing help here if possible if others have done the following upgrades.

I also have a 1984 Discovery 3.5 V8 electronic which i am using as a donor car.

I am looking at changing over the motor and 5 speed gearbox to the landrover

Also wishing to swap over the front disk brake setup and power steering into the Landrover ute.

can anyone help if they have done same before

Snowy1
map1275

Re: Renovation of a 1982 109 V8 ute

Post by map1275 »

Without an aftermarket ECU and custom programme, the power output will exceed the vehicle's abilities and won't pass modification approval or annual inspection requirements.
However the swap is straightforward. If you have the Range-Rover plenum there may be a bonnet clearance issue. Wiring has to be extended to reach the under-seat box to mount the ECU. Exhaust manifolding has to be sorted along with the lambda sensors.
Depending on which gearbox is being used, strength to match the Land-Rover application would be in question. If it's the same unit as per the Australian 5 speed 110...
For legal road use the straightforward question of what have you done about speedo calibration will be asked. Owner waffle isn't the requisite answer.

The front end or sub assemblies don't interchange. DIY braking systems = instant fail.

The only applicable PAS is the traditional aftermarket clamp-on rams. DIY steering systems = instant fail. RR or Disco arrangements require chassis chop and DIY steering columns. DIY steering mounting systems = instant fail. DIY steering columns and any DIY steering component or installation = instant fail.
Snowy1

Post by Snowy1 »

Thank you for your below advise.

I am getting all the works undertaken by a qualified mechanic.

the ute already has the rover 3.5 litre V8 4 speed gearbox in it and looking at both cars chassis and gearboxes and engines the mounting blocks and steel brackets are identical.

so its a straight swap. We would use the same ECU that is already in the Discovery 3.5 V8 and will leave the motor as standard but at the more efficient 1984 motor setup.

I have heard the after market PAS have no feeling to them and are dangerous at high speed due to the lack of feeling. I do not look at going over 110Klm's

If modifications need to be done to upgrade the brakes I would also have my mechanic undertake all the works

After all the above I would then have the car looked over and certified by an engineer to prove its legal.

I have read on other forums that others used the disco hubs with disc brakes with a small modifications to fit the Landrover ute.
Bare Chassis
Bare Chassis
Chassis stripped.jpg (109.71 KiB) Viewed 3729 times
removing Cab
removing Cab
Cab coming Off.jpg (116.7 KiB) Viewed 3729 times
map1275

Post by map1275 »

I certify vehicle modifications.

Basic owner fail point - doing the work first then looking for some one to sign off on it. Then choking about rework.

Getting someone else to do the work means nothing.

Write a build plan and have the build plan assessed by the end certifier before commencing work.

Home made brakes, steering, suspension (ie. random parts of the owner's choosing) = instant fail. To create your own system requires design level approval first, then the build, then final approval for the installation. Design level for custom brakes, steering, suspension should equate to prototypes, road testing... before approving the end design.

The NCOP is a free download.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

And then, the existing braking system is actually pretty good if it is well maintained, and the power output/efficiency, steering, etc is what it is. If you want One Ten characteristics, then buy one of those. :)
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5