Steering relay.

Technical questions and answers
Finn1

Re: Steering relay.

Post by Finn1 »

The PAS problem revealed it self via a stream of fluid from the underside of the pump and a rather wobbly pulley. I'll fit the replacement this week.
Craddocks, however seem to be dragging the chain with getting bits for the relay to me. Hopefully I can get it done this week.
Glen

Post by Glen »

You can buy all the parts to rebuild a relay seperately from places like Craddocks, not that expencive either, though its comparable to a complete pattern relay for a standard series 3. They might give you some dodgy looks and tell you its very dangerous to attempt as theres a spring in there but whilst they do store energy its not the strongest spring known to man that everyone seems to think. Given I know a couple of people who've had the main shaft snap in a reproduction one about 10 years ago there is possubly something to be said for rebuilding one from NOS parts being safer than a new one (especally since on a stage 1 you'd have to swap the guts into your housing anyway - there are slightly different designs of internals made over the years but both the ones currently available and the stage 1 type are unsurprisingly the later design so no problems there).

Inside is some split leather tapered washers that the spring forces against the main shaft to produce a damping force, they are lubricated by EP90. Usally it seems a neglected relay goes stiff - topping up the oil can help (they are usally neglected and fairly difficult to get to take oil). The workshop manual says what to do if the resistance is out of spec. If they are loose its probubly a week spring or worn out leather so will likely require a rebuild.
Nuggs

Post by Nuggs »

I got a new old stock one on the dreaded ebay for under £100. I wouldn't buy any aftermarket main shaft they have a habit of snapping . Try and get an old one to dismantle from a scrapper 4cyl; the internals are the same
Richard
1982 V8 109'' SW
1982 2.5n/a 88''
1999 V8 D2
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Nuggs wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:40 pmI got a new old stock one on the dreaded ebay for under £100.
For the 109 V8 or an ordinary one?
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
Finn1

Post by Finn1 »

I rebuilt the relay a couple of weeks ago. It took about 6 hours due to working out how to get the thing back to gather. I forgot to take the Haynes manual to the workshop so was working it out as I went. I made up a press to compress it but I broke one of the fibre bushes so I had to put one of the old ones back in. It’s a lot better with about 1/2 the play but I’ll order more bushes & do it again. This time It’ll probably take about an hour now that I’ve made the tool and worked out the tricks.

I looked at the links posted above and it seems to be a ZF system.

The photo is looking from above with the bulkhead at the top of the photo.