Syncro Gearboxes

Technical questions and answers
Cliff4WD

Syncro Gearboxes

Post by Cliff4WD »

Has anybody used or have experience of the Syncro Gearboxes LT95 rebuild kit? They assure me they only use quality bearings etc., but have not been specific about what's actually in the kit. I don't want to be fitting anything other than high quality parts.
Cliff

1981 109 V8 Stage 1
2000 Discovery 2 Td5

109 V8: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2161
My Disco Thread: http://www.thed2boysclub.co.uk/viewtopi ... =3&t=58130

LAND ROVER. TURNING OWNERS INTO PAUPERS FOR 70 YEARS
map1275

Re: Syncro Gearboxes

Post by map1275 »

Haven't seen one but as with most aftermarket kits of this nature they are usually a good starting point, then replace what's not up to speed or not there. The usual other point of 'kits' is what's not included, such as when thrust washers of varying sizes are required. Otherwise the variety of updated factory service data they don't bother to include, such as welding the nose piece to the oil pump, using the steel oil pump shaft, discarding the felt washer from the output shafts, the variety of seal positions depending on which seal you have...
udo1-ton

Post by udo1-ton »

I used the kit three years ago and everything was in a good quality. Most bearings were Timken.
But beware of the trust washers installed to the intermediate shaft gears. In later kits I found out they were steel made instead of bronce. It works but just for 100miles :( . The coating is correct..., I think that's the reason why the supplyer didn't notice.

Udo
Cliff4WD

Post by Cliff4WD »

Thanks. Think I might risk the kit then. At the moment I know I definitely need a new primary pinion shaft bearing. These range in price quite wildly with Genuine LR versions c. £120 + vat and other so called high quality branded ones c. £50 - £70 + vat, so it's difficult to choose. I get the feeling the Genuine ones may well be the the same lower priced branded variety in a LR box! The Timkin tapered roller bearings seem reasonably priced, but those large single row ball bearings are expensive, so I was doubtful of the kit quality at £295. A genuine LR gasket kit is around £50 so if I were to make up the same kit with LR parts it would cost a lot more than £295.
Whose idea was it to restore an rare old vehicle made of obsolete parts :roll:
Cliff

1981 109 V8 Stage 1
2000 Discovery 2 Td5

109 V8: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2161
My Disco Thread: http://www.thed2boysclub.co.uk/viewtopi ... =3&t=58130

LAND ROVER. TURNING OWNERS INTO PAUPERS FOR 70 YEARS