This is like a never ending nightmare, the more you do; the more you reveal, and the more to put right. I'm having a rest this weekend as I've been lost in the land of bulkhead for too long without coming up for air. I'll just write up this weeks work before I put my feet up.
Having test fitted the bulkhead back on the chassis, it was time to weld up the drivers side footwell in place, so plugged and dressed and all nice and solid. Next, I turned my attention to the top corners and top rail. Although it feels pretty solid, the badly patched-over top left inside corner is no doubt hiding rot and future problems.
Also, the inner top lip of the vent opening is rotten in several places. This was obviously where the rust flakes had come from when I first inspected. It's quite amazing how much you struggle to see when hidden from plain view. It had the vent panels in the filter screens in place of course as well as paint.
After cutting out the patchover, sure enough, rusty old steel...
...and the outside looked like this remember
...so cut that away to reveal this
Cleaned up and a bit of rust converter
I cut a piece of steel to strengthen it up...
...and plugged it in place. I'm a bit nervous I'm adding a moisture trap but hopefully, after hot dipping, it will be good. Did the other side too.
I had cut out, cleaned and treated the inside area...
The end concave section retained temporarily for reference.
Next, was to fabricate a piece to fit in place of the cut out steel. This took a while and I didn't photograph progress as I made it. Ended up with something that should work
Rescued the captive nuts (I could have used new rivnuts but nice to keep the look authentic)
...and plugged it in position
Finally, fitted in place.
Not finished it yet, but had enough for now. Back soon.