Dumb irons

Technical questions and answers
Matt1

Dumb irons

Post by Matt1 »

Hi
Can anyone tell me if replacement series 3 dumb irons will fit my stage 1.
Thanks Matt
map1275

Re: Dumb irons

Post by map1275 »

What part are you referring to? The bumper mounting brackets?
Matt1

Post by Matt1 »

Yes and it’s rusty quite close to the where the leaf springs mount on so need to fix that
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Still not sure which part you want.

If you read your parts book you will see that there is a change point in bumpers. One bolts directly to the chassis, the other has separate brackets, something like crash canisters. Not sure that these brackets have been reproduced but they are straightforward plates and galvanised. On an Australian Land-Rover 3.5, metric set screws at the bumper and UNF bolts at the chassis.

If you want the chassis end the they're not a factory serviced part. Repro only - take your chances on whether it fits anything, how well it's made or how comprehensive the repair section is, all depending on brand. Otherwise the actual rail end is essentially the same as 4 & 6 cyl. models.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

The short answer in plain English is, no, replacement Series 3 dumb irons will not fit a Stage 1 - the chassis is completely different at that point - and I am not aware of any replacement parts for the Stage 1, Genuine or repro - I have had three Stage 1 dumb irons repaired/rebuilt - it's a sheet steel and welding job.

As for the separate bolt on galvanised bumper brackets, where required, I haven't seen any for sale for years, but they ought to be easy enough to make for someone with the necessary skills and tools.
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
Matt1

Post by Matt1 »

Ok thanks
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

Yes to what was said above - Standard Series 3 dumb irons are different than Stage One bits.

If you were handy with sheet metal fabrication, you might be able to use the Series 3 bits as a starting point that you hack-up and rebuild. The parts like the spring hangers are the same and I think the outside edge might match up.

I guess it also depends on how much you have left of your original to build back up with.
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA