Weber 4-barrel conversion

Technical questions and answers
Arvid

Weber 4-barrel conversion

Post by Arvid »

Hi
Subject has possibly been up before ? :shock:
Has anybody done the Weber 4-barrel carb conversion (Stock number DA3049 at various dealers).
This complete kit looks very appealing but I would very much like to hear from anybody who has actually installed it.
Good or bad ? Worth the money ?
My present set up is the usual two SU's
Brgds Arvid from Denmark
map1275

Re: Weber 4-barrel conversion

Post by map1275 »

Never seen a complete kit that is actually complete, nor actually fits, nor actually suits (linkages, jets or chokes) any specific model. Only that the big bit bolts up and lashings of owner excuses already applied before purchase to make up for all the shortcomings.

I just googled the part number you quoted and couldn't find any specific data save for 'fits Rover 3.5 and 3.9'.

The usual owner questions that the owner never asks or answers are what precisely is wrong with your existing arrangement and what precisely do you expect to achieve with the replacement?

Your car has SUs? So the carbs have already been changed?
TheLemon

Post by TheLemon »

I fitted one of these to a v8 90 that came with a range rover efi set-up. At the time the weber kit was about £700. It solved all of the problems I was having with the efi and was fairly easy to fit and set-up. The most obvious advantage is that you don't have to balance two carbs any more. However, the price of the kits are now in excess of £1000 and at that price I think for what little you gain, I would stick with the s.u's and if really necessary, get them refurbished.
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

I have an Edelbrock Performer 4bbl carb installed on my 3.5 V8 motor. It has worked really well and I have about 10 years of road time on it. The photo does not show the install too well due to the fat old air cleaner - but nevertheless - there it is.
Edelbrock.JPG
Edelbrock.JPG (180.14 KiB) Viewed 4270 times

The carb is a little big for the smaller 3.5 liter V8 but it works. I had to tune the jets and needles a few ties to find a combination that best suited.

The big flat-bowled carb is great on the open road but does offer challenges if you are a serious off roader. If you get into EXTREME left or right angles, the carbs flood out one side (or the other) of the V motor. If you stall the motor - then it becomes a bear to re-start. The carb is also sensitive to heat (or that maybe the ethanol based gas we use here in the USA). I had to purchase the heat sink block between the manifold and the carb to solve that - and it has worked well. Bottom line - I recommend the Edlebrock with years of experience using it.

HOWEVER..... one of the trucks in my Land Rover club just installed a Holley Sniper throttle body fuel injection kit. You can not compare this to 1990's era fuel injection technology. It is like comparing a 1990's computer with a 2018 computer - there is no comparison. The Holley is able to miniaturize the whole engine computer and throttle body into a single unit the size of a regular 4bbl carb. The engine management is tuned using a small hand held device that plugs into the throttle body injection (TBI) unit and it allows you to tune for speed or economy and whatever. All it takes to run is a temperature sensor and a Oxygen sensor welded in to the exhaust pipe. It also takes an additional hi-pressure inline fuel pump. A key feature of this is you can buy this in a 2bbl format that is more appropriately sized for the 3.5 small V8 motor.

The results my buddy got from his Holley Sniper kit was amazing. Fueling is precise and powerful. Engine starts are instant - hot or cold. And he does not suffer from any problems from odd carb angles when off roading.

It is worth a look...
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA