Stuck on diff lock?

Technical questions and answers
firemanshort

Re: Stuck on diff lock?

Post by firemanshort »

Just an update.... spring shackle u-bolts replaced and truck taken for a few short test drives. All 4 wheels are rotating like they should and no binding on tight corners. As an added bonus - the center diff lock is shifting better than ever. If I am sitting still, I can actually hear it move with authority inside the transmission. I guess it benefited from a disassemble, clean, lube, and reassemble.

I am off to a rally this weekend. (https://www.roav.org/oxford-to-america)

I will close this thread up with final pictures of the broken diff when I get back. (Hopefully - no more damage!!!)
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Glad to hear you got it sorted. Was wondering how you got on. :)

Enjoy the trip. And try not to listen for loose things in the TC lol.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

Here is a photo of the bits I was working on. From left to right....

Rear output shaft and housing, Centre Diff assembly (planetary gears live inside this assembly towards the left hand side), and the front output shaft and housing.

The rear and front output shafts go inside the centre diff assembly and engage with the planetary gear system.

The centre diff lock is a collar that slides back and forth on the centre diff assembly and the the front output shaft assembly. With the collar slide forward, the two assemblies are locked in rotation together thus negating the action of the planetary gears inside the centre diff assembly.

(In this photo, the front output shaft is half pulled out of the centre diff assembly to create space to illustrate what I was talking about. The collar that is floating free in the middle of the photo normally lives on the centre diff assembly. Then the actuator slides the collar forward - it still holds on to the centre diff assembly but also grabs the gear inside the front assembly housing on the front output shaft.)

I am not sure if that makes sense or not - but my problem is hidden from the eye and inside the centre diff assembly. I have not taken it apart yet - I just swapped the whole assembly from a parts transmission I had.

Anyway - I just wanted to share the final photo of these bits before I wrap them up and hide them under the work bench.
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA