Gearbox identification

Technical questions and answers
UpTheCreekLodge

Gearbox identification

Post by UpTheCreekLodge »

I have a 1984 Series 3 Stage 1 109 that I imported to BC, Canada some years ago. It came with a 2.5NA diesel from a Sherpa van, and has never run properly. It likely has low compression and starts only with a puff of ether, and then dies after 15 seconds. It's way under-powered of course. I'm considering putting in a Buick 215/Rover 3.5 if I can get hold of one, or maybe a 200 or 300TDI, but the latter would very likely have to be imported.
Firstly though, I need to know if my gearbox was changed with the engine back in the 90's. Does anyone know how to identify the gearbox I have? Any leads on a replacement engine appreciated.
Thanks
Martin
Geoff

Re: Gearbox identification

Post by Geoff »

The original Stage 1 LT95 gearbox and integral transfer gearbox has an identifying number (stamped on the rear of the transfer case) prefixed 881 (1978-83) or 12C (1984-85) See here for these and other Land Rover gearbox identifying numbers (you may have to get google to translate from the Dutch):

http://www.vislandrovers.nl/extra/revis ... nel.php#v7

There may be other numbers as well (for example, I have an LT95 prefixed 17C, which I understand is from a limited run of LT95s made specially for some vehicles supplied to the SAS)
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Four forward, one reverse gear position.
Two gear knobs only (gearbox and transfer case).
LT95 is the only Land-Rover box where the gearbox and transfer case are one casting.
The serial number may help you determine which one you have, presuming no one's changed the internals.
Is your diff lock knob connected to anything?

Most of the above is covered and illustrated in your owner's handbook.
UpTheCreekLodge

Post by UpTheCreekLodge »

Thanks Geoff and map1275,

Delayed somewhat as my truck is outside and the weather here is awful right now.
Showing my ignorance now...is there an owners handbook for Stage 1's?
Is that stamped number on the rear of the transfer case viewable from underneath the Landrover, or do I have to go in through the inside?
Assuming its an LT 95 gearbox, would this work if I managed to get hold of a 300TDI?
I was under the impression that my LR had just a hi/low gearbox and doesn't have a diff lock?

Sorry for the uninformed questions.
Martin
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Most of which would be answered by the owners handbook. I'm not sure if there is an electronic version available for download but hard copy aren't hard to find.

Is there a big pull knob next to the park brake lever?
You'll have to read your parts book but the NZDF diesel conversion had a 2.5 into an LT95. I'm not sure which box is in the SA diesel or petrol six version but the shop manual is readily available.

Serial number and prefix should be below the rear PTO outlet. If you only have hi-low range, how do you engage 4WD or what do you do when one wheel spins? Is there a 'diff lock' warning light on the centre dash panel?

Have you decoded your VIN to see what your vehicle is supposed to be?

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=LT95 ... 75&bih=610

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=LT95 ... 632#imgrc=_
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Map has answered your questions but just by way of clarification:

Owner's handbooks come up on ebay now and again - there are paperback and hardback versions - hardbacks in good condition fetch a lot of money - see viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2027&p=12496&hilit= ... ual#p12496

There is also a Supplement for the 109V8 to the Series 3 Workshop Manual covering the differences to the Stage 1 from the ordinary Series 3 - again, look on ebay

Yes, the gearbox number is viewable from underneath the vehicle on the back of the transfer case.

The Stage 1 is permanent 4 wheel drive, but without the centre diff lock would be a lot less capable off road (when you change from 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive in an ordinary Series 3 it locks up the drive in the same way as the Stage 1 with its centre diff lock applied, which is why you shouldn't drive an ordinary Series 3 for any distance at speed on the road in 4 wheel drive, or a Stage 1 similarly with the diff lock applied)

Can't help you with what engines can/could be used with the LT95 - well beyond my expertise - but it is generally regarded as Land Rover's strongest box so I am sure a lot of people have tried using it with a variety of engines, so I suggest you try googling for any forum discussions on the subject.
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Just a thing about the engine transplant. A Sherpa diesel would have been a bit of stinker from go (IMO). They were a good example of BL gone bad, just like the Marina.

Yes, the Rover V8 is an option and they are readily available. Best place to start looking would be eBay I guess. There are also engine rebuilders in the UK that can provide a near new crated engine.

A popular option for a diesel replacement is the Isuzu 4BD1T (the 4BD1, being NA, can be a bit gaspy). Like so much in the world, it seems you can buy them from alibaba https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 57021.html

Another popular choice is Cummins diesels.

In both of the above, you will need an adapter plate for the LT95. In fact, the same will be true for all the non-Rover engines I think.

One final thing, and the others can confirm/correct. The bolt pattern on the Stage 1 LT95 may vary from the Range Rover LT95. (Not sure on that one, sorry).
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

The 3.9 Isuzu is a chassis chop to fit. The vast majority of available units are 24 volt and don't have the correct back plate. You will also need the correct bell housing and a selection of other Rover Australia parts. For a 4x4 Land-Rover, no forced induction is needed.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Pretty much all the 4BD1 Land Rover vehicles I have seen (except the Oz Prerenties) have been 12V.

Your statement about not needing turbo kind of goes against every TD engine Land Rover made. :?
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

People who convert to Isuzu 3.9 almost never do any research and almost always buy the cheapest Isuzu engine first to hand. Therefore from an Isuzu light truck, not Land-Rover 3.9D or 110. Most of which are 24 volt and with a completely different back plate in addition to the electrics.
All Perentie and Bushranger are 12 volt on the vehicle side. I'm not sure about the Saudi 6x6 but these were V8 petrol.

All factory 4x4 have more than adequate torque in every gear. Even 6x6 is OK without the standard turbo until heavily laden or fitted with a pod body. If anything, 6x6 needs an exhaust brake.

Ignoring the seller's fantasies about what this part quite obviously is not, this represents one of the 'mystical' items Isuzu convertors are typically confronted with needing after buying the wrong motor. The logic of visiting their local GM Isuzu dealer and ordering the correct Isuzu item never arises. The actual installation being a mixture of BL, LA and GM Isuzu parts.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOS-Land-Ro ... Swi0xaK2uB