Remanufacture of classic parts

Technical questions and answers
Lardy

Re: Remanufacture of classic parts

Post by Lardy »

Gday Bryan,
Would your company be into producing the parts mentioned by skittles?
Seems to cover a lot of the wants of most!
Regards
Mik

Post by Mik »

Interested - email sent
Michael
1965 109 FC SIIA
1982 109 V8 SIII CSW Stage One
1982 109 V8 SIII HCPU Stage One
1990 RRC Vogue SE
aimbones

Post by aimbones »

Hi which stub axle can be used I'm going to need a replacement pair soon.

Thanks

Tony
v8alligator

Post by v8alligator »

All,

Thanks for the list of parts which may be potential for remanufacture.

Realistically I could only do these a few at a time and it would be better for me to not go up against Pegasus but to offer the parts which are not out there.

I think I could do swivels, stubs and drive members relatively easily and in a smaller enough batch to make them price competitive.

I have a few thoughts regarding the swivels.
Modify series version using new parts.. would need to obtain a genuine stage one chrome to understand what needs to be done.
Produce a new swivel from scratch.. doable but might need some commitment due to initial casting costs.
Offer a re chrome service on a exchange basses. I have done this before for other vintage swivels and the results are first class.

In order to move these projects forward
Has anyone got a scrap swivel chrome and stub axle which they could donate to me to have something to work from? Happy to return it when I have finished.

Bryan
v8alligator

Post by v8alligator »

Hi all.

For all the people who have emailed me regarding the heater control valves.

I have finally been able to work out a unit cost and they are £280 each plus shipping.

If there is still enough interest then I am happy to go into manufacture of the first batch of 15 but I would need to ask for a little bit of commitment with order placement from all which are interested.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Hi,

At 280 quid, that's NZD510. For that I could buy a new engine. Sorry but well beyond what I can afford :(
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Mik

Post by Mik »

Whats the part no for this "unicorn-like" valve :) ?
Michael
1965 109 FC SIIA
1990 RRC Vogue SE
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Never came on its own it seems. The assembly part no appears to be ERC3564. However I cannot find any pictures to confirm.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Mik

Post by Mik »

That sounds right Alan - so you can get it genuine new for 210£
Michael
1965 109 FC SIIA
1990 RRC Vogue SE
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

LRDirect have it for NZ$394.44 (no VAT). Still too much for me :(
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Mik

Post by Mik »

Yes me too :) - but a reman for 280 versus a genuine for 210, makes it a hard sell I think
Michael
1965 109 FC SIIA
1990 RRC Vogue SE
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I don't wish to discourage anyone from remanufacturing unique Stage 1 parts that help those of us like me less skilled at adapting later or cheaper parts to keep our vehicles original but, as I think I've commented on here before, I don't see the use of these valves - they are missing on both of my vehicles and I've never felt the absence of them - no hot air enters the cab if you turn the blower motor off, and if you want unheated air you can simply open the bulkhead vents to whatever degree you choose (or, if like me you've fitted aluminium military/110 doortops, open the front sliding window pane however much you want) - why fit an expensive part that will wear if it's not really necessary? Maybe it's different if you live in a dusty climate, but I think others on here may have suggested cheaper alternatives can be adapted if you really need such a valve. I'm sure it would be more viable to remanufacture more vital parts, especially as NOS gets harder and consequently more expensive to source, if possible at all.
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
v8alligator

Post by v8alligator »

All,

The snag with re engineering parts in small volumes is cost... to be honest the amount of work in the heater valves makes them the price they are but if there is no market then its dead in the water.

I have been looking at the swivel kit for stage one.... I have tracked down and purchased a genuine NOS swivel and oil seal housing today... Dont ask how much but they are not cheap and supplies are not out there.... :)

Comparing the 2 side by side I think I can modify new late S3 ones to fit the stage one axle... I would be looking to supply these complete with the tin oil seal housing and a new seal.. Not sure on the final cost yet but they may be around 280 gbp each... Knowing that some of these items are just not out there and the market is also not very big... does this price scare you all?

I am only going to make a batch of 10 kits at the moment so only 5 vehicle sets unless people start asking for more....
map1275

Post by map1275 »

I'd suggest modifying used standard swivels then re-chroming. No black finish and if your machining is good no one will be able to tell. For upwards of $1000 I'd rather not be looking at an odd black part and I'd always be worried that a black swivel had something to do with Britpart and their cheapest cost contractor is best mentality.

How about starting with something simple like the overdrive linkages: the pivot block on top of the gearbox or the main control rod?
v8alligator

Post by v8alligator »

Hi All.

A bit of a update to this thread.

I have just produced the first swivel housing kit.

The modifications to a standard series swivel is not as straight forward as people believe as it is not just a matter of machining the internals for clearance on the CV but we also had to change the top / bottom pin geometry also.

Regardless of this we have done it and have been able to pull a kit together which works and includes the following.

1 x modified chrome swivel housing.
1 x pressed tin seal carrier (genuine LR)
1 x seal (genuine LR)

The cost per kit is £245 + VAT

Regards

Bryan