Need help finding part

Technical questions and answers
firemanshort

Need help finding part

Post by firemanshort »

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (69.19 KiB) Viewed 4834 times
(I am told I should be looking for help from my New Zealand friends.....)

In the process of taking my wings off the Stage One as part of my frame swap, I discovered that the wing braces located underneath the wing are rusted away. The ends remain but the middle bit is severely eaten.

I am looking for the parts labeled as MRC7495 and MRC7496 (I figure I should replace both while I am at it).

The usual suspects do not list the part. I called Dunsold in the UK and they did not have it either - but they recommended I contact a New Zealand parts supply shop - possibly someone that sold parts from used MOD trucks. Sadly, my local knowledge of New Zealand parts distributors is a little lacking (non-existent).

Can any of my Kiwi brothers lend me a hand?
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
map1275

Re: Need help finding part

Post by map1275 »

They're not critical nor fitted to all vehicles. However they are difficult to fit as solid rivets attach them to the junction with top and front panels. I'd suggest you DIY from Galvabond and a nibbler, with a vice as the bender.
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

Here is a photo of mine.

I have called around some more, and as said above, most people just tell me to make a new one or repair this one. I guess I see what kind of ham-fisted job I can turn out.

BTW - these were attached with 10mm hex bolts and not solid rivets. I can not tell if these are factory or previous owner items - but they were "well-aged".
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Do you facebook? I have a mate that is wrecking a couple of ex-army ones. If you do, ask to join the "NZ Army V8 Landrover Owners" group. Alex will ask you what your interest is. Tell him I sent you and you are looking for parts.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5537512 ... roup_cover

I just checked on mine and they are bolted, so his will be too.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

Alan -

Thanks for the heads up on the NZ Facebook group. I joined and am watching now. I decided I would try to just repair the brace myself.

So, this....

... was cut like this.....

... and a new piece tack-welded in like this....

.. and then finished to a final product like this.

It is now slathered in anti-rust paint and waiting for other parts of the wing to be repaired. That is how a half day gets shot to hell with very little overall progress towards the body swap.
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Great. I would also use some filler compound and rub it into the join parts so water cannot seep in and cause rust.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5