How can you tell a Stage One Axle?

Technical questions and answers
firemanshort

How can you tell a Stage One Axle?

Post by firemanshort »

Is there any way to ID a Stage One front axle just be looking at it?

I know that the Stage One has large front brakes than a standard Series - but so did the NADA 6cyl 109's and I think the 1-tons. Most Stage One's also have the steering damper on the tie rods/steering rods - but this was an option of standard Series, as well.

The CV joints are hidden inside the swivels and not easily detected unless you start unbolting things.

The reason I am asking is there is an axle of unknown origin for sale near me. It has free wheeling hubs bolted on which make me think this is a standard Series axle. But people do weird things on home build projects and this axle may be an abandoned re-fit for a Stage One axle under a Series truck. The free wheeling hub looks to be of a different age than the rest of the axle.... (Maybe I am being too hopeful)

This is what I am looking at:

http://www.gunsandrovers.com/showthread ... errerid=16
axle.jpg
axle.jpg (96.37 KiB) Viewed 3567 times
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
map1275

Re: How can you tell a Stage One Axle?

Post by map1275 »

The 109V8 uses concurrent 6 cylinder brakes which date back to Series II. All but the very first Series III have a steering damper as standard. All 109 V8 have steering dampeners as standard.
The assembly axle number, in particular the prefix should define what it is. Otherwise remove a tin axle cap (or free wheeling hub) and see what is poking out at you. 109 V8 wasn't sold in North America so it's doubtful you managed to find one. Probably a Silver dollar Series II.
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

Yes - probably overly optimistic on my part.

If you dream - dream in color!
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
Lewy

Post by Lewy »

From my book of all things Series 3.