Overdrive help

Technical questions and answers
Tups93

Overdrive help

Post by Tups93 »

Hello all,

I'm looking for a bit of a step by step guide to fitting an overdrive. I've looked on Google and on here but can't see anything. Does anyone have a picture step by step or a guide?

Also I've got a unit and I've just been told all I need is gaskets and I'm good to go, can someone confirm this please?

Cheers
map1275

Re: Overdrive help

Post by map1275 »

Have you read the Superwinch/Fairey installation instructions? Not pictorial but not impossible to understand. Have you checked that all the parts are present as per the Superwinch/Fairey parts/kit list? In particular the bits that have to be changed inside the transfer case.

I'm not sure how you expect anyone to diagnose the condition of your overdrive via the interweb. Considering the age of the unit, milage, servicing or lack of and the well known delicacy of Faireys, it would be odd that all you need is just a gasket set. It's a case of plug it on and drive it or pull it apart and inspect the individual components, replacing with new as required.

A quick Google found a variety of websites. None brilliant but some with a bit of effort. The principles are the same for the four/six cylinder version.

http://www.landrover.net/overdrive/
Raggylad

Post by Raggylad »

Concur with what Map1275 says. As well as the gaskets, its worth changing the oil seal on the actuating lever.
1983 110 V8 Station Waggon - LPG converted

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, quite so much fun as messing about in boats
db
Site Admin

Post by db »

I've uploaded a copy of the manual to the site:

https://www.stage1v8.org.uk/manuals