High Torque Starter motors - Experience???

Technical questions and answers
harry potter

High Torque Starter motors - Experience???

Post by harry potter »

I am fitting tubular manifolds (SD1) to the truck and they clash with the solenoid on the side of the starter motor.

I have two options - Fit a standard SD1 starter motor with the under slung solenoid or fit a Rover SD1 V8 Uprated Hi Torque Starter Motor.

my question is: does anybody have any experience of using the Hi-Torque starter motors, are they a vast improvement over the original design and have they had any problems with them?
size wise - notably smaller?

thank you
disco2hse

Re: High Torque Starter motors - Experience???

Post by disco2hse »

Nope sorry. Guessing you will see little difference however. If you had a high compression engine, you might need the greater torque.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Robstal110

Post by Robstal110 »

Put a hi torque on a 2.25 petrol about 18months ago, I've had no problems and it certainly spins it over with ease. My series parts supplier no longer sells standard starter motors, he says the price difference sient make it worthwhile stocking both
Raggylad

Post by Raggylad »

I've had a high torque starter fitted for over 5 years now. No problems at all. Took a while to get used to the weird (compared to the original starter) noise that it makes !
1983 110 V8 Station Waggon - LPG converted

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, quite so much fun as messing about in boats
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

Thanks for the response.
High torque on order now. Pics to follow in other thread