Prop shafts

Technical questions and answers
MadMatt

Prop shafts

Post by MadMatt »

Hi, i own a stage 1 V8 over in Australia, had some trouble with the front prop shaft assembly, specifically the double cardan joint centeral bearing , does anyone know of a rebuild kit or suitable replacement parts?
cheers
Matt
map1275

Re: Prop shafts

Post by map1275 »

Your Saginaw shaft uses all standard driveline components. Any driveline shop and any better auto parts shop should be able to supply the universal joints or the spring thing in the middle of the double joint. Repairing the slip joint means cutting it off, re-welding on a new one and balancing.
Lardy

Post by Lardy »

The front prop uj on the stage one according to the previous owner has given up life on a couple of occasions whilst under his ownership.
It in turn has attacked the underside of the vehicle and smashed a lump out of the bellhousing is this a common fault?
I seem to remember reading something about this on AULRO but cant find reference.
Any info appreciated.
map1275

Post by map1275 »

If it lets go then it will take out the output housing and put a few dents elsewhere.
However the unit itself is very reliable. If found to fail then it will be on a car that hasn't been maintained. Just as likely that he didn't replace the Nylocs or tighten them adequately. Keep pumping grease in at the required intervals and the only remaining issue is the slip joint. Which do wear and add to backlash.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

You are likely to feel the UJ's through the floor before they break.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Lewy

Post by Lewy »

My 110 snapped a front uni and put a hole in the side of my gearbox years ago.