stuck clutch any tips?

Technical questions and answers
onnowielinga

stuck clutch any tips?

Post by onnowielinga »

my car was parked for three years, due to changed roadtax rules, was taxexcempt, as a 25 jear old classic car, but wil now tax excempt when 40 years old, because it is fitted with lpg.

unfortunately my clutch wont work anymore.

i have replaced both the slavecylinder and mastercylinder, all the air is out, but still my clutch wont disengage.

ive had some oil leaks over the clutch house, due to a hole that rotted in the aluminised plate under the inletmanifold. so maybe some oil got into the flywheelhouse.

any idea how to inspect the clutch? maybe peep through the wadingplug-hole?

I tried to get it unstuck by starting with the fourth gear engaged, no effort.

maybe the pressure bearing is not sliding over the shaft? and stuck in the forward position?

somebody told me to soak it with brake cleaner.

anybody some ideas? i must not be the first person to have this experience.

Onno
map1275

Re: stuck clutch any tips?

Post by map1275 »

Either start in gear (eg- first) or tow start. Foot on the pedal and turn the key. This will either break it free or cause the linings to disintegrate. Adding solvent won't help and any liquid won't really improve the situation. Possibly try low range but as you normally need motion for final engagement...
onnowielinga

Post by onnowielinga »

thanks; i tried to get the air out, but now i am not 100% sure there is no air left in the system. i will try it again with a tube with a non return valve in it, make Proworks, cost 11 euro.
i moved the car about 15 meter with the starter motor, first gear high.
i gave it a bang, turning the startel while in fourth gear (not to move it, but to give it a shock).
i will try to start in first gear and drive it for a while and hope it will get unstuck.

http://www.koopkeus.nl/a/lijst_product/ ... roduct.htm
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Bleeding them is straightforward. Bleed the master, then the slave and a long length of clear tube forming a loop will suffice. What most get wrong is the pushrod adjustment for the master.
ashthelast

Post by ashthelast »

My stage one was sitting 10 years and the slave cylinder seals had dissolved. Then clutch was stuck. Few things were holding me back - make sure the clutch pedal is set to the correct height after changing the slave and master. Make sure the shaft on the slave is properly connected to the clutch fork (not sure if thats the right term but it needs to be located. It should be held in place with a plastic clip although I gave up with mine and works fine without)
Started in gear about 8 times, obviously with the clutch pedal down. No luck. Following morning it worked immediately. You can also wedge the clutch pedal down overnight and the continuous pull should help.