Oil leak from prop side of rear axel

Technical questions and answers
Tups93

Oil leak from prop side of rear axel

Post by Tups93 »

I've got an oil leak from the prop shaft side of my rear axel, I've been though the book and parts catalogue but I'm all confused now,

Right the part numbers are AEU2515 pinion oil seal, 607181, 607182, 607183 are diff bearing, oil thrower and joint.

Do I need all the other stuff or is it just the pinion oil seal I need?

Cheera
udo1-ton

Re: Oil leak from prop side of rear axel

Post by udo1-ton »

When there is only an oil leak, you need a new oil seal. The worsed case is a grooved flange which is not too expensive. Another possibility could be a Speedy Sleeve.
firemanshort

Re: Oil leak from prop side of rear axel

Post by firemanshort »

I had this issue a while back.

I just replaced the oil seal ... and had miserable results. It leaked worse than before.

I then did the job the second time and used a speedy sleeve. The rear differential was used in a 1970's model Ford truck that is common the USA so the speedy sleeve was easy to source under that alternate part number. It was relatively cheap and I was able to get a new oil seal, too. All of this for pennies compared to what a "Land Rover" part would cost me (and off the shelf - no mail order to the UK).

You could source a whole new pinion flange -but that can get expensive compared to just the sleeve.

The job to replace them was not that hard - the hardest bit was getting an impact wrench to remove the pinion bolt.

The end result with sleeve and oil seal is a dry and clean driveway - no leaks.
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA