New fuel tank

Technical questions and answers
Greenmobile

New fuel tank

Post by Greenmobile »

The leak from the old tank is getting worse so time to change to a new tank. :D

A few questions;

Double checking the part number is 599234, but I can choose Britpart, Allmakes, Bearmach or Genuine. The first three are much of a muchness regarding price, any difference in quality? I'm planning to POR-15 inside and out whichever one.

I'd thought of changing the sender at the same time (might give me an accurate fuel guage reading, you never know!) :wink:
Is there any other bits that I might as well change at the same time?

I'd also planned to treat the chassis for rust whilst the tank is out, any other jobs that would be good to do at the same time?

Cheers,

James
map1275

Re: New fuel tank

Post by map1275 »

BUY GENUINE and get a tank that fits. Unlike Britpart. The tank is the same as diesel models as fuel return is the only difference.

Replace all the mounting fittings. You'll need new olives and nuts. Your sender probably needs a new float. If replacing the entire sender then fit the one for diesel so you can have low fuel warning. You will want a new seal and lock ring regardless. New vent tube across the top of the tank and the other vent tube to the fuel filler.

Pump paint or rust coating into the join between the tank and bonded protection plate.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

You can get a GENUINE tank?? :shock: WHERE?

But yes, that is the right part number.
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
Greenmobile

Post by Greenmobile »

LR Direct have them but "subject to LR stock" :wink:

Thanks for the tips, I'll get that ordered, just a charging problem to identify first!
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

You'll find a lot of dealers still list parts online with a price 'subject to Land Rover stock' irrespective of whether there is any real possibility of their actually being able to obtain and supply same - after a while you get to know which ones they are. I once tracked a real Genuine Parts fuel tank for the Stage 1 (which isn't even a unique Stage 1 part, since it also fits the diesel Series 3 109) to Dunsfold, and they wouldn't sell it to me! They were keeping it for a restoration of their own. Although I now buy most of my parts online, I ended up going to a nearby independent Land Rover parts dealer, whom I used to go to for practically everything because on the whole they wouldn't sell rubbish, for an aftermarket one, because that way at least I could look at it before parting with my money.

(Of course they might all have ended up in Sweden for some inexplicable reason? - I didn't look there especially :? )
Tups93

Post by Tups93 »

Sorry to hi jack the op post, but I'm kind of in the same boat although my tanks out and gone never to be seen again with a custom replacement one, I was looking for all the parts only to hit a brick wall with fitting kit can't find it anywhere for back tank, front not a problem. Any idea where I can get 1? Want to get tank sorted since I've got a funny feeling lpg system is going to cost more to sort out. Sorry again.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

What parts exactly are you looking for? You can download the Series 3 Parts Catalogue online free here:

http://www.landroverweb.com/landrover/p ... r-manuals/

Armed with part numbers and google (just type in Land Rover and the part number) you can start looking for parts online.
Tups93

Post by Tups93 »

Ah I have a list of part numbers I need. Didn't know I could do such things like that with Google without wanting to smash the technology items with a hammer.
map1275

Post by map1275 »

There's no such thing as a fitting kit. However I'd guess that all the parts are still available. I've bought them all separately before once I'd worked out what was actually required. The parts book is more than a little poor in the area. Especially with how the rear step (if fitted) forms part of the mounting.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

map1275 wrote:BUY GENUINE and get a tank that fits. Unlike Britpart. The tank is the same as diesel models as fuel return is the only difference.

Replace all the mounting fittings. You'll need new olives and nuts. Your sender probably needs a new float. If replacing the entire sender then fit the one for diesel so you can have low fuel warning. You will want a new seal and lock ring regardless. New vent tube across the top of the tank and the other vent tube to the fuel filler.

Pump paint or rust coating into the join between the tank and bonded protection plate.
You should also look at replacing the rubber filler tube and the two hose clamps that hold it in place.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5