Anti burst locks

Technical questions and answers
Maik

Anti burst locks

Post by Maik »

Hi all,
Another thing that puzzles me is that I refitted the front antiburst locks. Refitted the original catches (like on the rear door) too as they where supplied with the cars' spare parts. The doors do close, but the lock has to click twice. It doesn't do that, only once. So the problem is then that I can't lock them. Perhaps it would work when the catch comes outward a bit more, but then the doors don't close flush. That's useless too. The doors are fitted with the series rubbers. Would that be the problem?
I've got defender rubbers (All Makes) ready to be fitted. Or is there another solution?

Greets, Maik
map1275

Re: Anti burst locks

Post by map1275 »

The anti-burst locks that they all come with.
You can play with locking action with the door open to see if the locks are latching properly. Whether the key will turn is a separate issue.
If you fitted the correct door seals correctly and they are new, the door will sit proud. Even when worn it would be extremely unusual for all doors to close flush. So the striker will have to be moved to allow the door to latch. After a few months use, the striker can be reset again.

I'm intrigued to know how you intend to fit later pinch-weld rubbers to a vehicle that has the lip to mount the traditional Land-Rover riveted door seal.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

This article might help:

https://mud4fun.com/2011/08/14/fitting- ... oor-locks/

though I don't guarantee it. I've fitted four of these locks in my time without any problems, but recently had exactly the same problem as you trying to get a fifth to lock, which was when I found the above article. In my case it didn't really help but fiddling around with the position of the catch (striker plate) and greasing it did, and it now locks acceptably if not as satisfyingly as the others. My locks were new and I'm assuming your locks are working correctly - make sure they're greased. In a reply to one of the comments beneath the article the author makes it clear that. like map says, it can all depend on the seals you have fitted and how stiff they are, which might explain my problem as well as yours (I didn't fit mine)
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Although it's a sidetrack from this stream, why does the person in the link waste all that time and money? If he'd bothered to look at a parts list he could have bought the matching handle assembly for the other side and a pair of keyed alike barrels to suit.
Maik

Post by Maik »

@map1275: I read this article a while ago. I thought it is worth trying if the series seals make the door stick out too far. I do wonder if they will sit nicely though.
https://mud4fun.com/2011/09/03/fitting- ... oor-seals/

@Geoff: thanks Geoff, I did find that article too. I guess I'll keep fiddling a bit more. Start with one door putting the defender seals in and see how that works out. I can always put new series seals back in. (it might appear I have tons of time, but I don't)
map1275

Post by map1275 »

So if you read they article in your link - the owner recognised that his original seals were worn out. No design issues or anything else wrong with the original concept other than being worn out. Instead of replacing the worn out part with the correct part and solving the problem with a part that actually fits, he's force fitted and chopped the wrong door seals on to the wrong vehicle.
You seem to be looking for an outcome that's not there.
Maik

Post by Maik »

You've got a point of course.
Having fiddled with the locks again today, I have finally booked succes. The thing was that I assumed that when I adjusted the striker outward, the door would sit more outward too. That was a misconception. Adjusting it that way makes the door as good as flush and I can lock the doors. Very pleased.