Trim fitting

Technical questions and answers

Trim fitting

Post by 5988 »

I'm struggling to work out how the trim pannels arrou d the pedals fit
They are a hard material, with cut outs to clear the pedals but they end up sat on top of the bolts for the pedal box's etc
From the brocure pics I can see looks like that's how they go, but don't seem very secure like that
Could someone with a vehicle with them still in let me know if they should be cut arround the bolts, or are even bolted through the trims?

Re: Trim fitting

Post by 5988 »

These bits are the issue
I have the retainers that go by the dash's panel,n but what holds the rest. It can't sit flush due to the rivets etc

Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Are we a perfectionist? The only Land Rover I've ever seen with these trim panels still in was my old 1975 Series 3 when I bought it from its only previous owner in 1990. But in a leaky old Land Rover I found them to be water traps which just encouraged rust on the bulkhead - not good - so I threw them away. I was surprised you found any, but I see Pegasus Parts make replacements - did you get yours from them? My recollection is that the originals were made of a thick cardboard-like material and mine bent in a slight convex curve that held them reasonably tight between the floor and their retainers on the dash - so clearing the various bolts etc was not a problem. If yours don't fit the same way I suggest you try asking Pegasus Parts how they're meant to fit, if that's who made them (or just send 'em back!) Perhaps if you fit some nice thick rubber mats on the floor it'd help hold them in place the way I think the originals fitted?
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs

Post by 5988 »

Yep trying to get it bang on

Gt them from pegasus, needed a bit of adjusting but they fit as you described

Floor matts fitted wrongly in the pic but the ideas right
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Last edited by Geoff on Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
map1275

Post by map1275 »

This is sort of covered in your parts book/accessories catalogue. Though not clearly pictured in the green vehicle.

The panels are a type of grey cardboard with a black printed finish on the outer face.
A left and right metal section attach to the lower dash screws/plastic nuts. At the floor, several tin (black painted) brackets share the some of the floor bolts. It is wise to fit at least one more bracket per footwell.

The downside of the panels is that they do reduce legroom. Particularly on the passenger side, where your toes tend to rub the panel.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

map's absolutely right (as usual :) ) - part number's 349362 and Pegasus sell them too:

http://www.pegasusparts.co.uk/ourshop_9 ... rings.html

Parts book shows 2 either side for the 109 V8 but none for the ordinary Series 3, which might explain why I don't recall them on my 1975 Series 3.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Might be worth checking this if you do want lock covers:

http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/advanced_se ... &x=28&y=13

Don't know where you'd find one for the passenger side - the part numbers are confusing and hard to find - luckily when I was looking I wasn't missing any from that side. The part number for the correct black cover for the driver's side is 395191PMA, but I don't know what it is for the other side and they (the passenger-side ones) seem to be completely unavailable now anyway. If you see LCS in a part number, it appears to be a lighter grey cover.

Post by 5988 »

Good stops that I missed the door lock covers and thanks for the link on the brackets
Not quite finished then