Distributors... what are you using?

Technical questions and answers
CaptainSlow

Distributors... what are you using?

Post by CaptainSlow »

When I get around to servicing the ignition side of things, I'll be looking at over £100 for new points, condenser, rotor arm, cap etc for the old Mallory distributor that has been fitted to the RRC engine in my Stage 1.

With that in mind, I'm open to fitting a different distributor - particularly having seen the options available from SimonBBC. So, I was wondering, what distributor is everyone else using? Have you fitted a non standard distributor, a replacement Lucas one from SimonBBC, or something else, particularly if you've replaced the points with electronic ignition? Are you happy with what you have?

Thanks as always
gingerwinky

Re: Distributors... what are you using?

Post by gingerwinky »

Hello,
When the military ignition gave up the ghost just after I bought him I used the following parts and have had no problems in almost 2 years. The voltage reducer is fed from a fuse under the dash but the fuse box had to be modified slightly so the feed was controlled by the ignition and not permanently live.

Distributor ERR5208
Coil RTC5628
Distributor Oil Pump Gear ERC1353
Voltage Reducer 24-12 from Pan Pacific 39-178

Hope this helps,

Andy
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

gingerwinky wrote:the fuse box had to be modified slightly so the feed was controlled by the ignition and not permanently live.
??

The fuse box should go via the ignition switch. Did yours not?

If not, did you put in a relay?

Mine is the Mallory dizzy.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
gingerwinky

Post by gingerwinky »

Hi Alan,

From what I remember as the fuses are all fed from the same feed, the fuse holder was modified with a junior hacksaw so the reducer had it's own fuse and feed.

I am quite happy to take photos if you want.

Andy
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

That's ok. Thanks.

On the wiring diagram, of the four fuses, two are via the ignition switch and two bypass it for the blackout/convoy switch and hazard/horn switches respectively. IIRC there's a fifth fuse that is live and spare.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Mik

Post by Mik »

I've changed to an Electronic distributor from 123Ignition - not cheap but fully worth the money
Michael
1965 109 FC SIIA
1982 109 V8 SIII CSW Stage One
1982 109 V8 SIII HCPU Stage One
1990 RRC Vogue SE