battery tray

Technical questions and answers
CaptainSlow

battery tray

Post by CaptainSlow »

I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but as I was wondering about it while I'm logged on here I thought I'd ask - is there room for two large batteries to be fitted under the driver's seat? I want to fit a split charge system and ideally have both batteries together to keep the cable runs nice and short. If there isn't room, is there an aftermarket piece that I could use instead? Perhaps from a Defender?

Sorry for the apparent laziness, but I've been working late all week and haven't had a chance to get a look at the tray (or anything else!) yet.

Thanks
Alicerover

Re: battery tray

Post by Alicerover »

Hi CaptainSlow,

The standard battery box might just squeeze in two small batteries, but their capacity would be so small it wouldn't be worth the effort.
Check out http://www.yrm-metal-solutions.co.uk/ep ... s/063-0001 I have bought a number of items from them, all of which have been to a high quality AND fit!
I wish now I had done this whilst I was building Alice as I could do with a second battery. Hey ho, hind sight is a wonderful thing!!
CaptainSlow

Post by CaptainSlow »

Thanks Alicerover. I had seen those dbl battery trays but it looks like they're to fit under the passenger seat not the driver seat as in the Stage 1? I guess if I have to move the battery over to the other side it wouldn't be too big a job, but I'm trying to keep it as factory standard as possible - with subtle mods to suit our needs ;) I might drop YRM an email and see if they'd make one for the driver side...
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Military 24V Stage 1's fit 2 batteries under the passenger seat because under the driver's seat is the side petrol tank. It is possible that the box would fit under the driver's side just as well.

What kind of split charge system are you thinking about? VSR? I assume you are going to stay with 12V.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
CaptainSlow

Post by CaptainSlow »

Thanks for that disco2hse, never heard of a 24V Stage 1 before! I take it they were for towing Rapiers instead of the 101s?

Yes, I'll be fitting a VSR split charge system - I fitted a National Luna one to my old Td5 Disco which worked great. I ensured I removed it all before selling that Landy, so I have all the components and plenty of battery cable (it has to run all the way around the engine bay in the Disco as you'll know). This is the old girl -

She was far from that good looking when I bought her - it took 4 years of work off and on to get to that point. I'm hoping to do a similar renovation on the Stage 1!
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Mostly general purpose and FFR (such as mine).

Very tidy looking Disco. I always liked that colour on a Disco.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

The standard 109V8 has a RH under seat battery box. The standard six cylinder model has a left hand under seat battery box. Either is secured by a myriad of pop rivets. Fitting both is considered the factory intended option for twin batteries. The factory bracket (hold down) determines which size battery you are fitting to the hole.
Otherwise it's pursue the FFR/FFW option and have an additional four batteries or light-weight with the arm-rest version. 110 onwards uses a revised battery box which allows for an even bigger battery. For 110 through Defender, countless accessory companies make carrier conversions to fit twin small batteries in one hole. For many years physical size hasn't represented battery power as units such as gel cell offer considerably more output for their relative size.
CaptainSlow

Post by CaptainSlow »

Ideally I want to keep the two batteries under one seat so that I can fit a second fuel tank under the other seat - as per an 88/SWB. I want the 'leisure' battery to have a hefty Amp/hr rating (at least 100) so that I can run the fridge over a weekend without worrying about totally draining it. The 'starter' battery will also be uprated slightly, simply because I always do that.

I might have to make up a suitable tray to accommodate the batteries - the off the shelf ones seem to be focussed on Optimax type batteries which are physically smaller than the ones I'm considering. I suppose another option might be to fit them in a storage locker built into the rear wing - similar to the ones used by the military for jerry can storage in 110s. Need to ponder over this for a bit longer.