Chassis differences between station wagon & regular

Technical questions and answers
steeps

Chassis differences between station wagon & regular

Post by steeps »

Hi

Wonder if anyone knows the differences between the station wagon chassis and the standard regular chassis?

My VIN number (and log book) specify a 109 V8 Regular - vin LBCAV1AA xxxxxx, but it has a station wagon body, which I'd like to keep for paracticality reasons. I've ordered a station wagon chassis from Richards, but I'm now in doubt whether I should've ordered the 'Regular' chassis, bearing in mind the body is likely a 109 Station Wagon body, ie not specifically a Stage 1 Station Wagon one. Hope that makes sense?

I understand one of the differences is the seat belt crossmember. I can't see yet whether my chassis has this (I doubt it going by the VIN), whether someone has 'made' one, or whether you can fit a station wagon body without this...

Are Series 3 & Stage 1 Station wagon bodies essentially the same, meaning that I did the right thing to order a Station Wagon Chassis?

Phew, thanks for any help on this before I try and crawl underneath for a closer inspection - don't mind doing that but would like to know what I'm looking for!

Cheers
Steeps
map1275

Re: Chassis differences between station wagon & regular

Post by map1275 »

Confusing question.

The notable difference with Station Wagon is the lack of tailgate hinges. But with a reproduction chassis you may well find that these are missing anyway, with just holes for the 110 bolt-on hinges.
Geoff

Re: Chassis differences between station wagon & regular

Post by Geoff »

The V8 Regular and Station Wagon chassis have different part numbers and the 109 4 Cyl Station Wagon obviously has a different part number again. I would have thought you've done the right thing ordering the Station Wagon chassis (as that's the body you have and are keeping) but as Richards make them surely the obvious thing to do is ask them what the differences are. And why assume your body is likely not from a Stage One? - I can't see any obvious signs it's not, from your photos (eg it has reversing lights & rear fog light, which my old '75 4 cyl Station Wagon didn't) I did notice it has the wrong rear grab handles for the V8 Station Wagon, but they're correct for the V8 Regular chassis you say they're bolted to (don't have a clue why Land Rover used different)
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs