V8 stickers

Technical questions and answers

V8 stickers

Post by 5988 »

Anyone know if all stage 1's got the Land Rover V8 stickers.
I thought they did, but the James Taylor book I have said not for the uk market

Anyone got any brochures or anything?
disco2hse

Re: V8 stickers

Post by disco2hse »

No military vehicles got them.

Most photos I have from the UK seem to have them. I have only seen a few civilian vehicles in NZ with them. Most didn't (of course I don't know how many may have been repainted too).
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

My truck is a UK market truck and it does not have stickers. It is a 2 door and not a 4 door - I am not sure if that makes a difference.

With so many modifications over the years - it is hard to tell what is still factory original on these trucks.
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA

Post by 5988 »

Does yours look to have had a re spray? Hard to tell I know
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

My limestone truck's still got its original paint, getting pretty thin in places now, and it has a full set of stickers which I'm sure are original. My other truck was a Land Rover press vehicle and originally silver, but has been resprayed a couple of times - I've replaced the missing sticker on the rear but am not interested in doing the same on the sides. Both are UK market models. My James Taylor book makes no mention of any Stage 1s not having these decals, and all the press photos I've seen show them on all the Stage 1 civilian production models (attaching one I have an original print of) - though I wonder if the High Cap pickup may have been an exception. James Taylor, btw, owned a yellow Stage 1 SW.

ImageUntitled by Geoff172, on Flickr

ImageLand Rover V8 Truck Cab by Geoff172, on Flickr
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

I can not tell if mine has been re-painted. I know that the doors are replacements (tops and bottoms) and therefore they have been painted more recently than the rest of the truck. I think my front wings are also replacements but from an older repair, I have no idea about the rear tub and specifically the rear shoulders.

My truck seems to have always been red, though. I can not find evidence of any other colors on it and I have taken most of it apart at one time or another.
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Looking at the pics of your truck that you've posted, I would think it has almost certainly been repainted - at any rate the replacement doors (and wings?) appear to be a very good colour match for the rest (I'm assuming you put the V8 sticker on the rear) It's a great-looking truck.

Post by 5988 »

The press photos you have posted are good enough, ill get the stickers for it :D
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

firemanshort, I believe unpainted pop rivets on the rear tub (and any hard top) are a fairly reliable indication that your vehicle has not been repainted (and that it has if they are painted) - or at least that those particular panels have or have not been.