Choke cable and handbrake

Technical questions and answers

Choke cable and handbrake

Post by 5988 »

I'm back, nearly finished my V8 now - mot next Friday :shock:

A couple do questions

How on earth are you supposed to fit the handbrake gator without ripping it. I can't see any way to remove the plastic grip from the lever, but it doesn't look to go over it ...

Anyone know the part number for the choke cable for a vehicle wit steering lock. Te parts book gives NRC5069 for all the RHD V8's
I fond a genuine LR one, but its no where near right. Screws into a panel not the slot in the steering lock unit. As a result its to short to clear the dash trim, without being half out. So I can only have half choke. Is also very loose in the bracket.
I could get one made if needed but here must be something out there originally
Geoff

Re: Choke cable and handbrake

Post by Geoff »

Ah yes, the handbrake gaiter - I bought one of these things, which I think are pretty much purely cosmetic, and then wondered how you were supposed to fit it. I didn't want to even try to remove the handbrake lever handle in case it came off in my hand inconveniently at some future date - keeping it securely attached seemed far more important than any gaiter. So I carefully unpicked the stitching on the seam of the gaiter just far enough to get it over the handle. If I'd really wanted to stand on my head in the driver's footwell, I suppose I could have stitched it back up again but, foreseeing the possibility I might want to get it off & on again in the future, I just tied it off - mine came with a cord through the wide end which, since it didn't seem to be doing anything useful, I took and threaded through the narrow end and tied to hold the gaiter reasonably tight. That said, I was so disgruntled with the effort and the fit that I've not bothered to waste my money on another for my other truck, which had at least the rather tatty remnant of the original still present. Hope this helps.

Choke cable - I bought an NRC5069 years ago for my original Stromberg-fitted Stage 1 but never fitted it as my improvised 'temporary' repair with Araldite has never given out! Eventually I used it on my other truck where it works ok but that has SUs fitted and a rather improvised choke cable mechanism at the carb end, so I can't help you really. In a previous post on this subject, I commented that a lot of places sell an NTC3932 claiming it is suitable for the Stage 1 - I have no idea if it is, but might be worth looking at? (Are you absolutely sure the one you got is the real thing?)
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs

Post by 5988 »

That number comes us as V8's without steering locks, its a screw in one.
I think the one some suppliers are selling under the old stage 1 number are the ntc item. Well be the same problem.
The ones got though was in genuine LR packet with nrc5069 on it - problem is parts book doesn't differentiate between vehicles with and without steering locks - and the choke is different. Seems 5069 is for vehicles without them

Ill get one made then its right and working properly, could jut chop the dash to make this one fit but would rather not.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Sorry I couldn't be more help with the choke cable. It's 13 years since I repaired one and 3 since I replaced the other, and I don't have a good memory, so I can't remember how they fitted, only that I didn't have any trouble fitting the one I bought from Dunsfold, not at the steering lock end at any rate, only with the mechanism on my SUs. Both my trucks have steering locks and I wasn't aware that any Stage 1s came without them. I haven't seen NTC3932 described as for V8s without steering locks, but Britcar list it as for V8 SU carbs, which suggests to me V8 90s & 110s which I would have expected to have locks, maybe different. The one I bought from Dunsfold was actually listed as NRC5067, which I took to be a mistake for NRC5069 - see my previous post in Alice to the road thread - but I suppose it might be a different part - a phone call to Dunsfold might be worthwhile before you get one made - I've always found them pretty knowledgeable & helpful with Stage 1 parts.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Think I've now found the right answer to your original question and it is, as I suspected above, NRC5067

I came across this old thread

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=918&p=5067&hilit=st ... lock#p5067

in which, in his usual knowledgeable but unhelpful style, map1275 had it right but failed to actually state the part number - he always liked to assume everyone possessed all the manuals relevant to their model, which he clearly thought they should - anyway, I found the relevant Optional Equipment Catalogue online here:

http://www.landroverv8.com/manuals/seri ... ipment.pdf

which states, on page 1G03, the 'Choke pull control assembly' for the 'Steering Column lock 109 V8 Land Rover' with RH Steering to be Part No. NRC5067

Evidently I bought the right part by accident! Dunsfold still have a large stock of these listed on their online Stock Room:

http://www.dunsfold.com/stockroom.php

(Anyone else notice the URL for that old thread ends with the numeric part of the correct part number? - spooky!)

Post by 5988 »

Thanks for that,

I actually have that parts book, still didn't think to look in there for what I thought was a standard part!
Well at least I know what I need now

Cheers :D
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

With some effort, the black plastic grip will come off and then the gator will easily slip on. You might want to stick the handbrake in a vice, then twist/turn and pull the handgrip off.

If the handbrake lever is still in place in the truck, then it will be a lot harder to get the handgrip off.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5

Post by 5988 »

Thanks. Ill give it a go. If is not looking promising ill go for geoff's approach