Mystery Engine Block Number.

Technical questions and answers
mharshman

Mystery Engine Block Number.

Post by mharshman »

Hello All..... I am having a Horrible weekend. Drove three hours, one way, in my Stage1,V8, only to blow a gasket somewhere.... All oil lost. This was a rebuilt engine, just a year ago. I do have History that, this engine was not the original. Back on the rebuild, I should have figured out that my engine was not a Series three V8 original. The NEW Distributor for a stage 1, did not fit. (I rebuilt the old distributor) Engine did not leak oil externally, but did leak a little internally..... It was not bad..... BUT! It did blow a gasket on this last trip.
I have two questions... 1) My mystery Engine Block number is.... 48112877D - 9.25:1 CR This is not a typo... 9.25:1 CR is on the block. Anyone have a clue? (Rover 3500?) I have tried to search it. It does have the faint Leyland markings on both sides of the numbers.
Second Question? 2) Is there a more modern Gasket that will stand the test of time? I want to rebuild this engine, and to have it NOT leak period! The old, original replacement gaskets just suck! I want to prevent any more leaking.
Thank you for your comments, Very frustrated at the moment. -Matt
riedland

Re: Mystery Engine Block Number.

Post by riedland »

Hi, I've found this listing on the net, can't find any engine with 9,25:1 CR but you may be right with the Rover 3500.
From where did you lose your engine oil, through the rear crankshaft seal ?
I've read hat early engines (Rover P5 and P6) had a cord type seal instead of the rubber seal, if you have this type of seal you can't replace it by a modern one because the block machining is different.
Attachments
v8_01.jpg
v8_01.jpg (72.87 KiB) Viewed 6298 times
v8_02.jpg
v8_02.jpg (179.36 KiB) Viewed 6298 times
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

Matt -

Who / Where was your 3.5 rebuilt?

I rebuilt mine in my garage and used parts from D&D Fabrications (http://www.aluminumv8.com/). I have 20K+ miles on mine with only the smallest of problems (none gasket related).

My rebuild block was from an early NADA Range Rover and it has the same compression ratio markings on it.

I have a spare 3.5 V8 in the garage floor and I think there is one on D90 in Jamestown, NC going for cheap, too (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/sho ... rerid=2300) . So you are in not that bad of shape to get back on the road if you want to abandon what you have and look for a newer motor. You can also sneak in a little larger 3.9 or 4.6 .... but I digress.
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
NZ105R

Post by NZ105R »

Yes your block is a P6B 3500, The lower 9.25 Compression is because its an export model we have them over here too.

Riedland is correct the Rope Seal on the back of the crankshaft is not very good its common to the P5B and P6B. Its best to Fit a Block from an SD1 they have a Proper seal and do not leak any oil at all.

If you are having trouble getting gaskets ask your local Rover Car Club? or maybe try : www.rimmerbros.co.uk
The Rover V8 engine usually does not leak oil, so you should be able to sort it easily :D
Mark

1986 Stage 1 NZ Army
1957 Rover P4 105R
mharshman

Post by mharshman »

Thanks Reidland, I have that same engine code list. That is why I was confused.
mharshman

Post by mharshman »

Thanks Mark, I had a local 4x4 mechanic work on my truck. He really likes to learn different odd trucks. He is great with electrical, this was the main reason I went to him. I still have not a clue yet, where it is leaking from. I do some mechanical work, but engine rebuild and electrical is above my skill. As for the leak..... on a two and half hour trip, it leaked all out. The fan and highway speeds pushed the dripping oil all over the engine compartment, all under the undercarriage, and back spraying against the back of the truck. When I stopped, I literally had oil dripping off my mud flaps.
On a side note.... The Army is now sending me to Texas instead of Virginia.

I will order from D&D, Thanks for your help.

-Matt
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Yeah, that is about as serious as it gets.

Such an old engine, I would replace it. Looks like the original was replaced with "anything with 8 cylinders, goes, and bolts in".
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
riedland

Post by riedland »

If I follow you well you didn't localize the leak ? I thought you were speaking of the rear crankshaft seal, which is in my opinion the only one that can have such an issue but not so quickly ! Losing all the oil so quickly and spraying the all engine bay let me think the trouble is at the front end:
- either a lost or loose oil filter :shock:
- or not fully tighten timing cover bolts, especially on the RH side where pressurized oil coming from the pump passes through the gasket from a timing cover channel to a bore in the block.
I hope there is no damage to the the main bearings and the big ends :(