Fuelline layout

Technical questions and answers
Gainford

Fuelline layout

Post by Gainford »

Hi All
Can anyone help. On a journey, when filling up, I can only get the tank half or 3/4 full. I replaced the tank about 4 years ago and can't remember whether it had the petrol return pipe on it (as per diesel tank). Could anyone describe the tank/carb/tank circuit as I think this could be the problem.

David
disco2hse

Re: Fuelline layout

Post by disco2hse »

Not sure how the return pipe has anything to do with not being able to completely fill your tank.

Are you talking about a side or rear tank?

Is it really not filling or is your sender only indicating that it is ¾ full when it is actually full?
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

This is a diagram of the standard Stage One fuel tank from the parts manual. It is slightly incorrect as it does not have the extra 90 degree elbow on top of the tank for the fuel return from the carbs.

The huge valley in the tank to allow it to fit around the frame rails requires an air equalization hose (part# 543766) to allow air to vent from the tops of these spaces and then out the main vent tube (the furthest back 90 degree elbow) that joins up via another rubber hose to the fuel filler neck.

If hose 542766 has a kink in it, then the air will not equalize easily and it may "burp" as the air forces pass in bubbles. Or if the tank vent hose is kinked - the same.

The fuel return hose from the carb should not cause what you are describing. I actually have mine blanked off (Edelbrok carbs do not require a fuel return).
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
Gainford

Post by Gainford »

Hi
Thanks for that. I've checked it again and it is all plumbed in correctly. The only difference is that I've got pipe 543766 routed so it loops below the main filler pipe - should still equalise though. Its fine filling it from cold - it gets an airlock when filling up on a journey.
david