Ignition Switch

Technical questions and answers
landykeith

Ignition Switch

Post by landykeith »

This may sound like a stupid question, but what goes between the key barrel and the switch in order to activate the ignition?

During the strip the wiring loom was taken out complete with the switch. The part that fits to the steering column (inc the steering lock)was separated from the column and loom. Whatever fits between the two parts that allows the key to turn the switch is missing :?: In reality it probably in the garage somewhere but seeing as I don't remember what I'm looking for......

At the moment I have to use a trusty screwdriver to turn the switch :(

Any ideas or pics greatly appreciated
disco2hse

Re: Ignition Switch

Post by disco2hse »

umm, since I don't have a key lock on mine, I would assume it was just a flat piece of metal??
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

When mine was broken into they smashed the ignition barrel. There was a D profile rod thats approx 3" long
landykeith

Post by landykeith »

Many thanks Harrypotter, once I had a better idea what I was looking for I found the spindle in a 'safe place' with all the other stuff I've been looking for!:D

no more using a screw driver to turn the ignition.

Best Regards

Keith
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

Just back from the garage. Opened a storage tray and there was my spare ignition rod. Weird!!!
Glad you found it, good luck with getting it all back together
landykeith

Post by landykeith »

Hi Harry,

There must be some form of adapter between the 'D' rod and the switch; presumably similar to the one used on a Disco 1, it has a metal adapter about 15mm long? (which doesn't fit my Landy rod, which is too small)?

I would have expected to find any adapter with the rod... however no such luck. :( Is there such an adapter on yours?

The Landrover parts catalogue shows none, nor is it in the S3 or S3V8 maintenance book.

Best Regards

Keith