LT95 gear box swap questions/how to

Technical questions and answers
harry potter

LT95 gear box swap questions/how to

Post by harry potter »

I have finally got hold of a LT95 gear box with overdrive that has come from a range rover to replace the current box that jumps out of low range when under power. the plan will be to re-built the old box in my spare time and keep as a spare.
I am looking at all the items required to make the transplant to the stage 1 and have a few queries.
1. first of all - where do you find the gear box number? l cannot find the number on the new box.
2. the box has the range rover hand brake assembly, linkage system - not the cable operated as per the stage 1 type.
3. is the input and output shaft from the engine the same length or does it require swapping from the original box
4. speedo - no idea what goes on here - assume the gearing is different and need the original needs swapping in.
5. is there a post on this forum or other forum about using the LT95 from a rangerover to stage 1. I do understand that the gearing will be different but will live with it for the time being unless it causes a major problem.

I have been through stirlingsilvers great post on the AS website.

does anybody have the linkage available for the overdrive? if not l will have to make my own.
Thanks in advance.
harry
Geoff

Re: LT95 gear box swap questions/how to

Post by Geoff »

1. It should be on the back of the transfer case. You might find this site useful (once you've got your browser to translate it from the Dutch!):

http://www.vislandrovers.nl/extra/revis ... nel.php#v7

2. And your question is?

3. Sorry, can't help with this one.

4. I believe you will have to fit your speedo pinion drive and worm gear, unless you'd rather have your speedo recalibrated.

5. I'm sure there must be - have you tried the Search facility on this site and google?
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs