Removing Camshaft

Technical questions and answers
Parker

Removing Camshaft

Post by Parker »

I am in the process of removing the camshaft in my Stage 1 and understood that it can be removed in situ. I have hit an obstacle as the Crankshaft pulley will not come off as it fouls on the front chassis cross member. I have thought that by releasing the front engine mounts I may be able to jack the engine enough to give enough clearance (about 1.5 inches). Have I missed something simple? Has anyone else had this problem and is there a simple solution? All advice appreciated.
Graham

1980 Stage 1
2014 RRS HSE SD V8
1952 Bentley Mk VI
1955 Daimler Century
1971 MG Midget
1971 Norton Commando
1972 Norton Commando
Alicerover

Re: Removing Camshaft

Post by Alicerover »

Hi, You should gain sufficient clearance by jacking the engine up from the mounts. Be sure to spread the load on the sump as you can easily puncture it if you are not careful and replacement ones that are good are hard to find.
Just make sure that everything else such as exhaust, wiring etc is not damaged as you lift the engine.
Another tip when you fit the cam shaft, use plenty of oil and take your time as you feed it into the engine. It is very easy to chip the edge of one of the lobes on the cam bearings. Also check the pre load on the lifters, otherwise you will end up with a noisy engine!
Hope this helps
Parker

Re: Removing Camshaft

Post by Parker »

Thank you. I thought that was the only way to do it, but thought I should check with those in the know.
Graham

1980 Stage 1
2014 RRS HSE SD V8
1952 Bentley Mk VI
1955 Daimler Century
1971 MG Midget
1971 Norton Commando
1972 Norton Commando