New Aussie Stage One Owner

Technical questions and answers
Parker

New Aussie Stage One Owner

Post by Parker »

[attachment=0]P1070124.JPG
Hi
My name is Graham and I have just bought a 1980 Stage 1 that has been sitting in a paddock for 9 years. It is a one owner and he told me the valley gasket blew for the 3rd time in 25 years so he left it in the paddock and bought a Toyota! It shows 114,000k's but the old guy couldn't confirm that is the original mileage as he is not well and his memory suffers. But I assume it is close unless the speedo cable has been broken. I've pulled off the valley and the tin gasket has a hump at the rear. Did a compression test and they range from 110 to 135 lb except for number 8 which is 30. I know these are low but the car had been sitting for 9 years with no lubrication. Suspect blown head gasket. There is some black slime running into the valley from the head at number 8. Camshaft is brownish with some pitting so will replace it and the followers.
I have been following similar threads and it seems the blown head gasket could lead to the valley blowing.
Apart from this problem the brakes are seized and the clutch doesn't work. New master and slave for the clutch, new wheel cylinders and I hope only a kit for the Brake M/cylinder.
Rust is limited to the door frames and a couple of small holes in the passenger floor. The firewall and chassis are good. The previous owner says never been in an accident and there are no dents anywhere on the vehicle. It was very cheap so I think I have done OK. Any suggestions and advice.
Attachments
P1070128.JPG
P1070128.JPG (171.53 KiB) Viewed 4305 times
Straight but needs some TLC
Straight but needs some TLC
P1070124.JPG (189.49 KiB) Viewed 4305 times
Graham

1980 Stage 1
2014 RRS HSE SD V8
1952 Bentley Mk VI
1955 Daimler Century
1971 MG Midget
1971 Norton Commando
1972 Norton Commando
disco2hse

Re: New Aussie Stage One Owner

Post by disco2hse »

Nothing sounds major and it looks like you have a pretty good handle on it.

Engine will need a serious flushing out. That oil looks like it has turned to varnish. In fact if you are going to lift the heads, you may as well drop the sump and give a really good scrub.

Brakes seizing are typical.

You might want to pull diffs while you're at it and make sure there hasn't been water sitting in them or that the oil has also turned to sludge. Chek the oil quality in the gearbox and change it anyway.

Radiator will need rodding.

Fuel pump will probably have to be replaced by now, but you never know (I assume it is a facet pump).

Could be some fun with the electrics if moisture has got into the connectors.
Last edited by disco2hse on Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Parker

Post by Parker »

Thanks Alan
I was happily surprised when I put a battery in, reds worked, lights, blinkers, wipers, interior light etc etc and the motor turned over. the fuel pump was pumping as well. Guess you can be lucky. Will take your advice and change all oils. Most other things needed are cosmetic so looking forward to getting it going.

Regards
Graham
Graham

1980 Stage 1
2014 RRS HSE SD V8
1952 Bentley Mk VI
1955 Daimler Century
1971 MG Midget
1971 Norton Commando
1972 Norton Commando
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Cool. You can easily check the fuel pump flow rate by pumping a measured amount over a period of time. It should be 120l/hr and a pressure of around 5-7psi. So, run the pump into a measuring jug for 30 seconds and see how much is run through. Repeat three times for a reasonable average.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
noexitroad

Post by noexitroad »

looks awesome!
Parker

Post by Parker »

Well I've been slowly pulling the engine down in the vehicle. !st obstacle is I can't get the crankshaft pulley off as it fouls on the front chassis frame. I thought I read that you can replace the camshaft with the engine in the car. I have thought about undoing the engine mounts and jacking the engine about 2 inches as that is all it needs. Any suggestions from those with knowledge?
Graham

1980 Stage 1
2014 RRS HSE SD V8
1952 Bentley Mk VI
1955 Daimler Century
1971 MG Midget
1971 Norton Commando
1972 Norton Commando