LH exhaust manifold

Technical questions and answers
DPuckey

LH exhaust manifold

Post by DPuckey »

Mine has got a crack on a stud hole so the downpipe is now held by only 2 studs.

Does anyone have a decent spare for sale?
dougmilns

Re: LH exhaust manifold

Post by dougmilns »

Hia PDuckey

I appreciate that this post is a aging a bit now but I do still have the set of manifolds from my stage 1. I've modified a set that I think came from a Rover p5 to fit mine (they are rather less restrictive than the originals & help it breathe better). I can dig them out if you are still interested?

Either that or I can get you some pics of what we did to the manifolds I now have if you like? Basically the one side fits straight on & the other we had to move the outlet port round so as to bring the downpipe closer to the engine & avoid the chassis rail. It makes for a much neater and less bulky solution than the originals & they give a better air flow from the exhaust ports to the down pipe (although nowhere near tubulars :P) - much cheaper though :)

Cheers
Doug.
DPuckey

Post by DPuckey »

Doug, many thanks for the offer but I have managed to get a second hand LH one, fitted and working fine. Interested to know how you modded the other type, could come in handy for anyone with a Stage 1 in the future.
dougmilns

Post by dougmilns »

PDuckey

Good to know you have yours sorted :) I was out playing on the Shropshire lanes yesterday with my truck, snow on top of the Long Mynd adds to the fun :D

I'll dig out the pics of what we did to the manifolds I am now running on - I also have the numbers cast into these when they were manufactured so might be able to work out what they really were from. From memory, the right hand one went on as is & the left hand one we had to angle the outlet port over by 20 degrees or so & re-weld it all up, I'll dig it all out though and write it up. As you say, it could help someone else with the same problem - plus the original manifolds are pretty restrictive as they are, this gives a degree of improvment to the engine's breathing without going as far as tubular manifolds. So far as I understand it tubulars are a pain to fit as well for the same problem, they foul the near side chassis rail.

If any one else does need either or a pair of exhaust manifolds I still have a set anyway :)

Cheers

Doug,