Hazard wiring

Technical questions and answers

Hazard wiring

Post by 5988 »

Anyone know where I can find the wiring diagram for them, can't find them even mentioned in the S3 or V8 supplements
The plugs are easy but I then have 5 or 6 wires to connect to, I have no idea where
Geoff

Re: Hazard wiring

Post by Geoff »

2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs

Post by 5988 »

Still stuck with this one,

Can't seem to work out how to make the system described in that link fit with the standard S3 wiring an hazard parts
Seem to have many left over wires, and to need to cut into the loom to make that work ... Can't see LR supplied it then had you chop it about to make it fit
Then again can't believe LR didn't bother to show the system on any diagrams either :evil:
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Well, as far as I am concerned vehicle wiring is a combination of spaghetti and alchemy, so you have my sympathy. But I can't see your loom and, in my case, I don't have the disadvantage of not wanting to spoil a shiny new (expensive) loom. What I do have is two old, much-chopped-about-with looms that both show evidence of previous electrical fires! So I figure I can only improve on them (famous last words) I can't put too much reliance on wire colours but instead trace their ends and (with the help of google) try to understand how they should be connected and why. That's what I think that link does - it helped me understand anyway, and I don't think I could possibly rewire an entire vehicle, so I doubt that's your problem - can only suggest you put less faith in Land Rover and just figure out logically how to make everything work and wire it accordingly.

In my case, I was just getting my trailer indicator warning light working for the new MOT and thought while I was at it I'd try to figure out why my hazard warning switch wasn't flashing along with the hazard lights, which is how I came across that link (think I'll be ok on the flasher switch for the MOT because the green indicator warning lights both flash when it's on - just made a mental note to look out for a stray/loose earth wire next time I've got the main dash panel off)
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

PS The hazard switch is shown in the wiring diagram for the V8 in the 90/110 workshop manual (pp 70-71):

http://www.landroverweb.com/Pdf-files/M ... nual-5.pdf

I imagine it must work in the same way there. Wouldn't be the first time I've found the 110 books more useful for the 109V8 than the series 3 or 109V8 ones (for instance, the same diagram also shows the trailer warning light not shown in the 109V8 wiring diagram) But I still think my earlier link is a more useful explanation than a diagram. Good luck with it! Frankly, with all the variations and anomalies with land rovers I would have been surprised if your new loom did connect straight up without any problems.

Post by 5988 »

Got it :D

Managed to find a wiring diagram for a MGB which uses the same or very similar system - although the colours are different the principle was there.
With that and a multi meter I've managed to work out the stage 1 system - will draw I up later, just in case anyone else gets stuck

Fund my hazard switch and fog light switch don't work though :roll: So now need new ones of them

Just waiting a couple or relays and need to make some battery cables, then can have power 8)
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

Maybe too late with this but the hazard lights were an optional extra (believed standard on the V8).
You need a 607698 wiring harness. This plugs straight to the existing loom therefore no butchering skills required. There is one for sale in the link below but it looks like you still need to source the flasher unit and switch for it. Note* the hazard circuit has its own flasher unit in addition to the indicators.

http://www.johnrichardssurplus.co.uk/pr ... ble-579392

Good luck…
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)

Post by 5988 »

Got the loom etc, (auto sparks sell it new for allot less than that)

That was the cause of my problems trying to fit it all together, the plug in bits easy, the other wires were the issue ... Seems so simple now I understand how its working,

Flasher relays ordered so hopefully all ok next weekend 8)