Ok, i may be going to buy a stage one (Pics)

Technical questions and answers
Heyitsmike

Ok, i may be going to buy a stage one (Pics)

Post by Heyitsmike »

Like the title says... I may be going to look at a stage one project truck to possibly purchase. I have been doing a ton of research about it and everything, even checked out glencoyone's buying guide. I still am just wondering if there is anything special that I should be paying attention to that is out of the norm for most cars. I know the axles are a hot spot due to limited parts availability (Especially here in the states), and so is the frame like most other landys. I know this vehicle is going to need a full resto, but I suppose I'm just looking for a second opinion. The guy is asking under $3,000 USD (I believe somewhere around 2,000 GBP). Am I over-dreaming this ting or should I move on?

As you can see, the engine is in the back, and not installed. It is apparently the original motor and everything, and ran when it came out. Also, i know it looks it, but the aluminum is not rusted, i swear :P It was actually professionally painted to look torched for a movie production, and the body is in great shape. and the engine removed so they could move it around easier. The frame will need some attention, as the rear cross-member is more or less gone, and perhaps a couple of patches here and there.But again, in the US, I'm not sure I'd find much more of a vehicle for $3000. Am I on to something? Am I barking up the wrong tree?
Mrs Bingham

Re: Ok, i may be going to buy a stage one (Pics)

Post by Mrs Bingham »

Hi and welcome,

An unusual look which I think is great 

In my humble opinion and if you are mechanically savvy and interested in proper Land Rovers, then you should without a doubt buy it (but I don’t know what US prices command).

Don’t be too put off by the unique parts. They do crop up now and again and most are very hardy, thus don’t often break unless abused. There are some parts on it that come from early Range Rovers like the gearbox (albeit different ratios), clutch and differentials etc.

The worrying bit for me would be the potential of missing parts particularly relating to the removal of the engine. Pretty much all the surrounding parts in the engine compartment are unique to the Stage1 and to name a few, the radiator, cowling and exhaust downpipes etc. The exhaust manifolds (I think you guys call them headers) are unique too but I think you may have those. Assuming the gearbox is still there; is the front propshaft present – that is hard to find if missing (a good one at least). The chassis is different but only at the front. Providing the main rails are salvageable the outriggers and rear cross member are standard items.

If you get stuck on anything just ask – there’s loads of knowledgeable people on here and BTW – I would recommend anyone looking at these things to read the glencoyne website as it is an excellent source of information.

Good luck...
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

"the engine removed so they could move it around easier" ?!?! Have I been missing something all these years? - I always thought the whole point of the engine, in its proper place, was to move the vehicle 'around'! (Of course, here in the UK, it might indeed soon be cheaper to hire a tow truck than fuel a V8)
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
Heyitsmike

Post by Heyitsmike »

Geoff wrote:"the engine removed so they could move it around easier" ?!?! Have I been missing something all these years? - I always thought the whole point of the engine, in its proper place, was to move the vehicle 'around'! (Of course, here in the UK, it might indeed soon be cheaper to hire a tow truck than fuel a V8)
Lol, one would think. Its been my experience that movie companies don't usually do things "logically" anyway... Such as using a stage one in the first place as a movie prop. I suppose it would just be easier for them to move the cars with a forklift instead of driving them or something. Idunno

Funny thing actually, this may have just fallen by the wayside for now, as an old 101FC may have just fallen into my lap this morning in much better condition. so it may take precedence.
Mrs Bingham wrote:Hi and welcome,

An unusual look which I think is great 

In my humble opinion and if you are mechanically savvy and interested in proper Land Rovers, then you should without a doubt buy it (but I don’t know what US prices command).

Don’t be too put off by the unique parts. They do crop up now and again and most are very hardy, thus don’t often break unless abused. There are some parts on it that come from early Range Rovers like the gearbox (albeit different ratios), clutch and differentials etc.

The worrying bit for me would be the potential of missing parts particularly relating to the removal of the engine. Pretty much all the surrounding parts in the engine compartment are unique to the Stage1 and to name a few, the radiator, cowling and exhaust downpipes etc. The exhaust manifolds (I think you guys call them headers) are unique too but I think you may have those. Assuming the gearbox is still there; is the front propshaft present – that is hard to find if missing (a good one at least). The chassis is different but only at the front. Providing the main rails are salvageable the outriggers and rear cross member are standard items.

If you get stuck on anything just ask – there’s loads of knowledgeable people on here and BTW – I would recommend anyone looking at these things to read the glencoyne website as it is an excellent source of information.

Good luck...
Thanks for the information! there are a couple key things missing, one of which being both driveshafts. (propshafts) but they can be custom made here in the states for not that much money. I priced them out, and to be able to get both shafts here in the states would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500 from john craddoc, paddoc spares and similar paces whereas they might be 2-300 a piece from a custom shaft shop. The radiator is there, and so is most of the engine and transmission components. Unfortunately many of the lines and hoses were just cut rather than being removed. The removable transmission cross-member is still there from other pics I've seen of it. It just seems like a lot of putting together, which I'm fine with

P.S. exhaust manifolds are cast pipe, where headers are fabricated bent pipe and usually give better air flow.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Oh no - rescue that poor mistreated Stagey! - FCs are two-a-penny in comparison (well, what would you expect us to say here?)
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Go for it !!

Oh, welcome too :)
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

Mike -

Welcome to this Forum. You certainly have found a unique truck among unique trucks. It will need all the work you said it would and more (they always do).

There are a few of us Stage One owners in the US. There is another fellow in Mass that has a 5 door.

If you pass on that truck - can you pass along the details on the deal (where is this truck listed?)?
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA