Common Upgrades & Problems - Feedback Appreciated

Technical questions and answers
kris

Common Upgrades & Problems - Feedback Appreciated

Post by kris »

Hello Everyone

My name is Kris and i have recently purchased an 82 stage 1 Landy. I am located in Victoria Australia.

The costly stuff

Currently at the mechanics getting the once over and have ran into the following so far

1. Running on 6 cylinders, maybe something to do with the camshaft - waiting on feedback from mechanic
2. Front wheel has negative camber for one reason or another
3. Charge light comes on when at low idle, flat battery has already been encountered, assuming alternator buggered.
4. Shudder at about 80kms when foot off the throttle

Has anyone encountered the above problems and has any feedback? Would be much appreciated.

Is there anything worthwhile doing now (upgrades) whilst at the mechanics assuming the camshaft needs to be looked at to diagnose the lack of compression and firing of 2 cylinders?

The fun stff

I have repaired the body work and am contemplating the paint / colour.

What do you guys recommend?

I was thinking a matte dark grey with matte black above the steel midline and bonnet?

Thoughts?

Thanks for inclusion into the group. Cant wait to get the beast up and running "firing on all cylinders"
\
Kris
Attachments
landy1.PNG
landy1.PNG (239.31 KiB) Viewed 3689 times
landy.JPG
landy.JPG (122.13 KiB) Viewed 3689 times
disco2hse

Re: Common Upgrades & Problems - Feedback Appreciated

Post by disco2hse »

Hi Kris
kris wrote: 1. Running on 6 cylinders, maybe something to do with the camshaft - waiting on feedback from mechanic
Could be a lot of different reasons. Everything from plug leads leaking spark to cracked head and/or block. More info is required. If it is the camshaft, that is not a big fix.
kris wrote: 2. Front wheel has negative camber for one reason or another
Umm, trying to remember the alignment settings.
Front wheel toe-in :: 1.2-2.4mm
Camber angle :: 1 1/2º
Castor Angle :: 3º
Swivel pin inclination :: 7º

Get a wheel alignment done when everything else is done.
kris wrote: 3. Charge light comes on when at low idle, flat battery has already been encountered, assuming alternator buggered.
Probably it is not. It is normal for the charge light to come on at low revs. All cars used to be like that once. All that indicates is that the alternator is not charging at that time. If in doubt, check the alternator. Batteries have a limited lifespan and it is possible it is past its useful life.
kris wrote: 4. Shudder at about 80kms when foot off the throttle
Probably poor wheel alignment, or it could be worn UJ's, or worn steering components.

So, a worn cam shaft does not automatically mean it will run on two less cylinders. It does mean that timing will be slightly out and may backfire, be hard to start, fouled plugs all the time, oil leaking into the cylinders (causing to the two previous issues), back pressure in the sump and oil that blows out the filler tube if the lid is off,…
kris wrote: I was thinking a matte dark grey with matte black above the steel midline and bonnet?
Not my choice of colour. I don't know if the Stage 1 is ever well transformed into a mean machine. I like Bronze Green and Limestone roof.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
drifter

Post by drifter »

I would be interested in knowing how you got on with this. Is it running on all 8 now?
noexitroad

Post by noexitroad »

the only colour worth considering is gold 8)