stage 1 v8 ignition wiring, help!

Technical questions and answers
v8farmer

stage 1 v8 ignition wiring, help!

Post by v8farmer »

Hi all

i am just trying to connect my v8 back to the electrics so i can get it start after having it out of the vehicle for over a year. but i cant seem to get a spark from the distrbuter. i was wondering if anyone could draw a diagram or show a picture of how the coil and distributer is wired up. it has a luminition box, resistor and coil. i hae the live feed from the ignition and the cable to the starter motor. but im not sure exactly how to wire it up. i know the luminition box plugs into the distributer, and the remaining 3 wires, (Brown,Red and Black). black bolts on to the chassis as a negative, but what about the other two.

I have tried various was of connecting them.
the one which i thought was correct was
Starter motor to +coil
ignition live feed to resistor then to +coil
Red wire from luminition to reisistor, on the ignition switch end.
Black wire to earth.
with this i get 6v coming from the top of the coil
where does the brown wire go. when i connect it to the coil- the power disapears from the top of the coil
i also have a new condensor, which means the old one must have been past it when removing, where does this go.
oh and it is a new coil.
any help would be much appreciated to get the old girl sparking again.

[attachment=1]2014-02-24 12.02.58.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]2014-02-24 12.03.44.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Live feed and starter motor wire
Live feed and starter motor wire
2014-02-24 12.03.44.jpg (24.17 KiB) Viewed 3043 times
the parts i have
the parts i have
2014-02-24 12.02.58.jpg (20.35 KiB) Viewed 3043 times
disco2hse

Re: stage 1 v8 ignition wiring, help!

Post by disco2hse »

This help?

Also, see this. It is the installation manual. If all else fails, read the manual :P http://www.newtronic.co.uk/PMA50ins.pdf

I don't see in the manual or diagram any mention of a condenser, so you probably don't need the one in your photo.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
88 stage1

Re: stage 1 v8 ignition wiring, help!

Post by 88 stage1 »

Correct Alan, the condenser and point are removed when the distributor kit is fitted.