Different versions of Fairey Overdrives?

Technical questions and answers
mharshman

Different versions of Fairey Overdrives?

Post by mharshman »

Hello all,
I have been looking for a Fairey Overdrive, or another version. I read many websites, stating NOT for V8 models. I see many that state it is a Series II or III model. My truck once had an overdrive, the previous owner took it out. Lucky me the pre-drilled holes are still there.
I did find one fairey overdrive that stated it came from a V8 LT95 Trans..... Oh, my truck is a LHD model. (Does this matter?)
I can not find any research on different overdrive models. Most claim this is NOT for V8. Is there a specific model of Fairey Overdrive for the LT95 Trans? The original overdrive brouchure that came with my truck was a Fairey overdrive for a Range Rover Classic. I believe this was the model that was once in my truck, because my truck has exstensive paperwork that came with it. But missing the model type......
Any answers?
Thank you in advanced.
Matt
disco2hse

Re: Different versions of Fairey Overdrives?

Post by disco2hse »

mharshman wrote:my truck is a LHD model. (Does this matter?)
No.
mharshman wrote:Is there a specific model of Fairey Overdrive for the LT95 Trans?
Yes.
mharshman wrote:The original overdrive brouchure that came with my truck was a Fairey overdrive for a Range Rover Classic. I believe this was the model that was once in my truck, because my truck has exstensive paperwork that came with it. But missing the model type......
Any answers?
The Rangie Classic had the LT95 but it is not quite the same as the Stage 1. The OD should fit.

Warning. OD's wear out and cost a significant amount to repair (let alone purchase). If it is higher top end speed you want, then look at changing the 4th gear ratios.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

Yes - what Alan said.

Any overdrive for an LT95 gearbox will fit (Range Rover / early D110 / Stage One). The difference is the shift linkage. Stage One linkage is pretty hard to come by.

Fairy made a specific OD for the LT95 and they are hard to come by. When they break - parts are even harder to come by.

Swapping out the hi-range gear cluster in a Stage One is the cheapest and easiest way to get a little better top end out of it. Simple, quiet, easy to find parts.
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
llandes

Post by llandes »

Two comments...

First, I know of a Stage One for sale which is a bit of a wreck, but has a nice Fairey OD in it. I've driven the truck and the OD was quiet. Truck has no VIN on the chassis, but does have one on the body. No paperwork. If someone wanted to part it, there's a nice OD and linkage there. Let me know if I can help. It's located in Southern California, but I could help get it sent somewhere if needed. Not my truck, I just know of it and have kept my eye on it. Today, got a call that the owner "wants it gone".

Second, Firemanshort, I sent a long e-mail regarding the gear swap. Did you get it? We spoke live about a year ago, so perhaps the email changed. I have questions and you are the expert!

-Larry
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

ummmm....uhhh... I do not remember seeing an e-mail... try again..???
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
llandes

Post by llandes »

Will do Dave! Thx.
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Hi
I made the overdrive linkage for my overdrive from 12mm M/Steel bar. It can be cold formed in the vice and drilled and slotted with a slitty disc for the pins. The block is just 30 x 30 square with 3 holes drilled in it. Got a sketch somewhere, i'll dig it out.
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County